View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 AM
mpspeedy

Interesting, I usually make my own binding and always to much. It has come in handy recently. I started making these little "pillowcase" dresses that go to tropical countries for the poorest of poor little girls. The idea is to cover them so that men will not use them for their own "low" purposes. Somehow wearing a dress makes them less likely to be molested. I quickly went through my stash of odd pillowcases and began making them from my quilting and sewing stash. They are very simple and the armholes are bound and finished off with strings to tie in a bow on the shoulders. I found that when I used a print fabric for the dress I preferred a solid color binding. I have been purchasing premade quilt binding from Joanns etc. and cutting it in half down the center. That allows me to get at least three sets of bindings for the dresses out of each package of comercial binding.
I recently started to try and purchase only items made in America. I was very disappointed when all of the binding in Joanns was clearly marked "made in China". I guess I will go back to making my own for the dresses.