Thread: New Quilter
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Tiffany

Hi Deb and welcome, both to this group and to the quilting world! I love your enthusiasm. What brought you to the quilt world? For me, I fell in love with a pattern I saw, which sort of opened the door for my wanting to learn to make quilts, but it wasn't until I had a niece get married and I innocently thought a home made king sized quilt (bargello style) would be a wonderful, easy gift that I actually did anything about my interest. Never start with a king sized quilt, especially when there is less than two months to finish it. Lol. Is there something in particular that caught your eye or were you one of those lucky ones who had a grandma who quilted and it runs in your blood?

If you are looking for some great ways to learn about quilting, besides the Internet (which I love!), a good resource for quilting can often be your local PBS station or if you have HGTV you can catch old shows of Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson. I learned to quilt from that show and was very bummed when it was canceled. They still show reruns though and that is very helpful. If you get a chance, definitely watch those. PBS runs several sewing shows on the weekend. Where I live (I'm in Idaho) we get two sewing shows on Sunday afternoon and one of them is always Fons and Porter. That is another fabulous show and if you get it, definitely watch it and tape it if at all possible. The nice thing with them is that their show usually corresponds to whatever is going on in their magazine. Hope this helps. I can't wait to hear about your quilting projects!
~Tiffany