View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 AM
miriam
Power Poster

May I suggest that you scout around the vintage sewing machine area of this board awhile before you buy. Some of the older machines will last a very long time and are very easy to use. They aren't as likely to break as the newer plastic machines. A couple come to my mind though. Singer 99, Singer Spartan - two smaller machines. The Singer 404, or a Singer 15 knock off otherwise known as a 15 clone or Japanese 15 - the 15 clones or what ever you call them can be had for $75 or much much less. These are very easy to use and maintain. They are all metal and will last for years to come. There are free repair manuals on line if needed. Parts are available. I would also suggest buying a finger guard for the needle. Here is a link for info and pictures of the Japanese 15 machines http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html

Even the repair shops won't repair a plastic machine and there are no manuals or parts available for them. There is no point filling up a land fill when perfectly serviceable old sewing machines are out there to be had for not too much.

Last edited by miriam; 11-20-2011 at 06:25 AM.