Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How many sewing machines do I need????? >

How many sewing machines do I need?????

How many sewing machines do I need?????

Old 11-20-2011, 12:30 AM

I am not a quilter nor have i ever used a sewing machine, but i have a little girl who is making outfits out of paper, scissors, glue, and tape. These are for her toy dolls, bears, and pretend hamsters (zhuzhu pets). I am looking for a beginning sewing option; and as i look online, i find a variety of machines from 30 to 160. the janome hello kitty machine is about 80 dollars. there is a refurbished brother machine on overstock.com for 57 dollars. it seems to do a lot for the price. as i was looking at that one, there was an sq9000 that will embroider/monogram in the side margin for 160ish. overstock has some sort of warranty/replacement option for a few dollars more. i don't want to spend 30 or 50 dollars on something that will break right away. i do think she will be excited that the creations may actually be useful and not just recycled within a week or two. she is imaginative and focused. what do you think? any input would be appreciated. i really appreciate your thoughts
Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

May I suggest that you scout around the vintage sewing machine area of this board awhile before you buy. Some of the older machines will last a very long time and are very easy to use. They aren't as likely to break as the newer plastic machines. A couple come to my mind though. Singer 99, Singer Spartan - two smaller machines. The Singer 404, or a Singer 15 knock off otherwise known as a 15 clone or Japanese 15 - the 15 clones or what ever you call them can be had for $75 or much much less. These are very easy to use and maintain. They are all metal and will last for years to come. There are free repair manuals on line if needed. Parts are available. I would also suggest buying a finger guard for the needle. Here is a link for info and pictures of the Japanese 15 machines http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html

Even the repair shops won't repair a plastic machine and there are no manuals or parts available for them. There is no point filling up a land fill when perfectly serviceable old sewing machines are out there to be had for not too much.

Last edited by miriam; 11-20-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 AM

I have 4 and I have to force myself not to buy more. I have 3 that work... my moms is here and I need to change out the electrical. Oh and 1 serger so i guess 5?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

Even the repair shops won't repair a plastic machine and there are no manuals or parts available for them.

I should expand on the above. Some shops will clean and oil the PGM (Plastic Garbage Machine) if there are repairs they likely won't get repaired because the repairs can cost more than the machine originally cost. There are manuals if you are a 'dealer' for that company. It is very expensive to become a dealer. The dealer has the manual to do the repairs at a great expense of operating a franchise - they have to pass that along to the customer - high priced repairs so the customer isn't going to spend more than she spent on the machine when it was new.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:29 AM

I quit counting when it went over 30.

Oh, and what does "need" have to do with it?

Joe
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 AM

Today I am picking up a Singer 201. It will be the 43rd vintage sewing machine I own. I keep an Excel spreadsheet for my machines otherwise I would lose count. Sort of like having too many children around and you call one by the wrong name. LOL DH thinks I have about 20. I don't "need" them all of course but I want them all.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Muv

Fifteen, not counting two toy machines.

You've got it the wrong way round. It's not a question of you needing sewing machines - they need you.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Fifteen, not counting two toy machines.

You've got it the wrong way round. It's not a question of you needing sewing machines - they need you.
Muv you are ssssssssssssssooooooooooooooooo right.