View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

I found this website and think I have figured out the process:
http://www.allianceforamericanquilts...?kid=14-31-CE8

My biggest concern is that it seems the freezer paper patterns are placed on the right side of the fabric. This means when you turn the seam allowance under to secure with a glue stick, you are not turning the edge against anything. My favorite applique technique is machine applique using freezer paper a la Harriet Hargrave, mostly because the freezer paper provides an edge that allows for very precise and smooth turns of the seam allowance. I guess I should try a few pieces with freezer paper on top and see if I can manage the turn cleanly (I kind of doubt it!, but maybe).

Also researched French fuse and it is basically nylon tricot fusible. There are heavier and thinner types of this, and I suppose the French fuse is a lighter type.

I'm still a little confused about the Ann Holmes technique. The only way for it to work, I think, is to first lay down a piece of French fuse with fusible side up over a drawing of the finished piece. Next step would be to cut out freezer paper pieces, iron them to right side of fabrics, cut with a 1/4" seam allowance, then turn the seam allowances to wrong side with glue. One would then place the applique pieces on top of the fusible using the drawing (which can be seen through the fusible) as a placement guide. Then you would iron over all of the freezer paper pieces to secure the fabric appliques to the fusible. Last step would be to remove the freezer paper pieces. If the fusing is done lightly, it would be possible to rip off a fabric piece and replace it with another, if desired. The entire piece could then be sandwiched and quilted to permanently secure the applique pieces. It looks as if Ann Holmes uses a particular kind of quilting stitch for that last process.

This process would save some time, but nylon tricot fusible does add stiffness to a quilt top, especially stiffening the drape. This is not a problem for wallhangings, but not as desirable for bed quilts. I'm thinking the same process would work better for bed quilts with Misty Fuse, which would not add stiffness; however, then you would need an extra layer of parchment paper between the base drawing and the fusible, which might obscure the design. Could get around this by tracing the design with a Sharpie onto the parchment paper, but this would add some time to the process.

I might try this with a small piece and see how I like it. As I said, my biggest problem is going to be not having a freezer paper edge to turn the seam allowance against.

Hope this makes sense to someone!!!

Last edited by Prism99; 11-20-2011 at 10:00 AM.