View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Corry

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
My blocks are good, I can match my corners well, I can square up my blocks, I press everything. When it gets to putting it all together it develops problems.

My borders are wavy, the center sometimes has bumps that won't lay flat.

At least I'm in good company-most of these things she sings about I can relate with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoL7...ure=plpp_video

What are your suggestions for improving?
I had the same problem as you. My blocks seem to be very good and the blocks of my quilt went together very well but when it came to my outer border I had a wavy problem. I found that handling the quilt alot stretched out my bporder fabric. I had the quilt top at my sewing group working on it and when someone came in they wanted to see it and they held the quilt top up holding it by the outer border to show to everyone. Well when I laid it out to make my quilt sandwich it was all stretched out and would not lay flat. I also applied my borders the same method you did. So I took off all the outer border and washed the fabric by swishing it around in the washer and laying it out flat on my ironing board to dry. i then pressed and starched. I applied the borders again in the method they suggest by measuring thru the center of the quilt and it lays nice and flat now.
I also will not hold my quilt top up to show to people until it is pinned with the batting and backing or it may stretch out the border. I do have alot of machine embroidery in my quilts which makes them weigh heavier so it really is more weight to the quilt when you hold it up by the top border to show it to someone. I really swear by measuring thru the center of the quilt now to apply my border. I was skeptical before if it mattered to do that but learned the hard way it does matter.

HUGS
Corry