Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why don't my quilt tops lay flat? >

Why don't my quilt tops lay flat?

Why don't my quilt tops lay flat?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM

I needed the information about starching. I am going to start starching more. Especially liked the YouTube video song.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM

All good advice here. I have about have my DSonIL talking into quilting. I told him that I had learned more on this site than anywhere.
When I first started quilting DW told me to measure in three places and average them and pin the border. I taught her to starch.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 PM

I always take 3 measurements per side....I measure each end and then down the middle and take the average of these 3 measurements. That is the length of the border I cut. I haven't had a problem with my quilts not lying flat by doing it this way. I am sure there are other ways to measure and cut but this has always worked for me.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
Yes, I'm sure this will help you. Measuring makes a huge difference! And when you get ready to sew the borders on, pin them in place first. I always mark the midpoint of my border, and half it again to mark it at the 1/4 points also. Then I mark the quilt top in the same manner. Next I pin the border to the top at each end, at the midpoint and at each 1/4 point. Then smooth/ease as needed between those pins to get everything distributed nice and evenly. It works every time and you're going to love the results.

Edit: I think Beth and I were typing at the same time... great minds think alike!
Thank you all!! I have been going crazy trying to figure out what I have been doing wrong. I know how to sew but have never taken a quilting class. I made 6 quilts before running into this problem. I will NO longer just cut a strip, sew it on, and then trim the edges! Measure twice, cut once, and sew (hopefully) once
Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
OK..this is a first...exactly what is the purpose of using interfacing? and You do realize that MistFuse is NOT an interfacing, but a fusible webbing meant to fuse TWO fabrics together right??? Are you sure you meant Mistyfuse is what you use, and not something else?

I don't use one side of the fusible. I just like Misty fuse because it's so soft and doesn't interfere with the quilting. Most of the time I fuse it on the back of the whole quilt top, it won't stretch while sewing on the borders or being manipulated under the machine. I use this method on bigger quilt tops. I got this hint one year at Paducah by ease dropping on a quilt show winner talking to another quilt show winner.. they both love Misty Fuse.

Forgot to say I use two layers of Misty Fuse if I use it for basting the quilt.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 03-01-2012 at 08:48 AM.