Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 PM
JanTx

Default Things I do differently than I did a year ago...

I just began quilting in the Fall of 2010 so it's fun to see how my projects have evolved in the past year.

I'm no longer afraid of binding - even though I do pull the backing to the front instead of making a separate binding. (By this time next year I may be laughing at that.) I started with the "birthing" or "Pillowcase" style of sewing right sides together and turning the quilt.

I laugh in the face of mitered corners. Last year I was squaring them off and calling it good enough. Now even odd angles are not a problem.

I use those double pins to hold corners in place. They are such fine wire I can get the foot right over them before I pull them out and being double-pronged they hold both edges of the corner nicely in place.

I used to cut the batting even with the quilt top, but now I leave a bit - maybe 1/4"? - and like the look and feel of the border better.

Triangles were scary - and now they are old hat. HSTs? no problem.

Though I may still have a wonky bit here and there or a seam line that's not completely straight things are much better.

Working on the Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks has really improved my skill levels - don't know that I would have been up to some challenges without that. It's so easy to get comfortable with what you already know rather than branching out to new challenges.

Can't wait to see where to go from here!