View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Quiltgranny

Originally Posted by reneebobby
I didn't read all of these but the other day on the Fons and Porter show they discussed this and what they did was fantastic.

To make sure you don't loose your points they sewed 1/4 and when they got close to the point wandered just up past the point (I hope this makes sense) and then back into postion.

Then to get bulky seams to lay flat they clipped the seam(not all the way) in the bulky areas and then pressed those opposite directions.
Yes, thanks, I do know what you're talking about and in fact do that myself. I never have sewn right through the 'x', but always just a hair above it. You're right, it makes a huge difference.

When I attended my Moda U quilt class today, and we all showed our blocks and explained our various methods of pressing, the responses went something like this. Folks had problems with pressing to the right, one gal clipped, like you're talking about, and two of us pressed them open. The gal that clipped said, "Gee, wish I would've pressed mine open." She liked the flatter appearance of the pressed open, even though clipping did eliminate some of the bulk for her. I myself have done some clipping when the situation warrants it, and it does really help.

Happy quilting!