Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: Help! My Flying Geese are lumpy!

  1. #1
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Hello Everyone,

    There MUST be a better way to press Flying Geese. I've been pressing the center up towards the wings, which is fine - until you start sewing them to each other. I believe this block is called the Flying Dutchman, for one, and I'm having particular trouble where the point of one FG intersects with the left bottom side of another. Talk about BULK! Especially along the main vertical and horizontal seamlines when the four quadrants are attached.

    How to you press your seams so that you end up with a nice svelt goose and not one bulky enough to be eaten for Christmas dinner?! LOL

    I'm attaching a pic for reference.

    Thanks,

    Karla in CO
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member SharonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,551
    I can't help you with your dilemma, but I had to comment on how nicely your points are. I'm sure someone will have an answer and we'll all learn from it :).

  3. #3
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,736
    looks nice. can/will you take a picture of the back - that will give us more clues about how it's being pressed

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have the same trouble--bulk!

    but--Hello from another Karla! :D

  5. #5
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    I spend a lot of time pressing seams open.
    And, you might try steam while pressing ...
    one of the threads in this forum was talking about POUNDING the lumps into submission ...
    lo and behold! The quilting industry has come up with a rubber mallet for the deed.
    You might try the local hardware store for a construction rubber mallet, since it will probably be cheaper. Won't be as purty but hey! What you really want is the mallet, right??? LOL

  6. #6
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    looks nice. can/will you take a picture of the back - that will give us more clues about how it's being pressed
    Expose my backside?! LOL Gosh, kinda feel like my slip is showing or something, ha ha. Here it is. I'll welcome any hints or tips.

    Thanks, Karla in CO



    Backside of block to show how I pressed the seams.
    Name:  Attachment-43115.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  29.5 KB

  7. #7
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    I can't help you with your dilemma, but I had to comment on how nicely your points are. I'm sure someone will have an answer and we'll all learn from it :).
    Thanks Sharon,

    I'm working on them. Practice, practice.

    Happy quilting, Karla in CO

  8. #8
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    I have the same trouble--bulk!

    but--Hello from another Karla! :D
    Hi Karla,

    I noticed you, another Karla with a "K" - kinda unusual, huh? Nice to meet ya. That's why I started signing my posts "Karla in CO", hoping to not confuse folks.

    Maybe someone will show us all how to get rid of this nasty bulk. I'm sure hoping that is the case.

    Karla in CO

  9. #9
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,736
    I think you've got them about as good as they can get.

  10. #10
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    I spend a lot of time pressing seams open.
    And, you might try steam while pressing ...
    one of the threads in this forum was talking about POUNDING the lumps into submission ...
    lo and behold! The quilting industry has come up with a rubber mallet for the deed.
    You might try the local hardware store for a construction rubber mallet, since it will probably be cheaper. Won't be as purty but hey! What you really want is the mallet, right??? LOL
    STEAM while pressing?! :shock: I thought we were supposed to stay plum away from that nasty stuff, lol. :lol: Yeah, I'm half steam, half not anymore.

    Guess I've never cared much for pressing seams open. Doesn't that weaken the seam? Or, have I been misled all this time?

    I saw that silly little hammer, and for big bucks, too! Maybe it's time to get out my own hammer. Thanks for the tip; I'd forgotten all about that! :? Thanks so much, Omak for all your help.

    Fearing distortion.... Karla in CO

  11. #11
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I think you've got them about as good as they can get.
    Wow, that was fast! Thanks for your encouragement, much appreciated! :-)

    Lumpy in CO

  12. #12
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    I believe it was decided the open seam myth was true when the seams were hand stitched but since it is a machine seam it will be fine open. this will reduce the bulk in those areas. Give it a try.

  13. #13
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,736
    try it on the next one you make - don't pick this block apart - press the seams open on the next one you do and see what happens

    in fact, there is no rule anymore that one has to press ALL the seams in a given block any particular way

  14. #14
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    If you get too aggressive with your steam iron, it might be best to just let it lie, (or is that "lay"?) ... but, steam will help the fabric relax a bit, I guess.
    Either steam or no is a personal preference, but steam is a grand equalizer.
    And, as bearisgray said, seams lying to one side did make a stronger piecing, when the piecing was done by hand.

  15. #15
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I believe it was decided the open seam myth was true when the seams were hand stitched but since it is a machine seam it will be fine open. this will reduce the bulk in those areas. Give it a try.
    Thanks, I will.

  16. #16
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    try it on the next one you make - don't pick this block apart - press the seams open on the next one you do and see what happens

    in fact, there is no rule anymore that one has to press ALL the seams in a given block any particular way
    No worry, I won't be picking this one apart any further, had enough fun already. I do have one more of the same block to do, so will give this open seam thing a try and report back.

    Oh, BTW, I just noticed the name of this block is "Mosaic". It is one of many that are in a Moda U sampler I'm working on.

    Thanks, Karla

  17. #17
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    Your block looks great. I can see where there may be a bit of bulk, but it still seems to lie flat.

  18. #18
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    If you get too aggressive with your steam iron, it might be best to just let it lie, (or is that "lay"?) ... but, steam will help the fabric relax a bit, I guess.
    Either steam or no is a personal preference, but steam is a grand equalizer.
    And, as bearisgray said, seams lying to one side did make a stronger piecing, when the piecing was done by hand.
    No worry, I'm not agressive about too much these days. Yes, I can see how what she said does make sense. As I mentioned above, I do have one more of these to make, so will definitely give it a try. I will try a bit more steam on those center seams that I've already done, too. Thanks so much!

    Pressing on... Karla in CO

  19. #19
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Your block looks great. I can see where there may be a bit of bulk, but it still seems to lie flat.
    Thanks! I'm guessing it feels worse than it looks. :-)

    Happy Stitchin', Karla in CO

  20. #20
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    I would open the seams and steam the heck out of the points. I do it all the time for points. I am also one that has used steam and dry iron. I use what it takes to get the job done.

  21. #21
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,227
    I like steam but you only press with it. No ironing.
    Your seams are as good as it gets and once it is quilted you will not see any bulk.

  22. #22
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,792
    Blog Entries
    2
    I always press away from my points. the point is the center of the flying geese. when joining them, i still press the point away, even if that means pressing the side of the next flying geese toward itself. points are more important.

  23. #23
    Super Member Boston1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,193
    My work should be that lumpy. It looks fine to me. Are you sure you're not being to critical of your own work?

  24. #24
    Super Member CajunQuilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Posts
    3,296
    In a class I took a few months ago the teacher had us just remove enough stitches at the meeting point to be able to open it up and iron it flat. Hope this makes sense.

  25. #25
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,274
    Blog Entries
    1
    Granny, granny, granny - svelt geese and exposed back sides - lol
    I am already in stitches thanks to your post.

    As to the pressing, I'd try the open method. It seems to be getting a lot of attention lately. I was one to follow the "press to the dark side" (now that might explain my dark humor - :twisted: ) but ran into the same problem as you did. Now, my backside can be a bit inconsistent and unorthodox. I press the way the seam wants to go naturally. Next batch, I'll try to press open.

    Nice geese btw!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.