View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Anna.425

No matter what your personal reason for the season is I just love the holidays because it is the spirit of the holidays that is fun. The decorations are festive and people forget their everyday issues and focus on giving and doing for others. That isn't about gifts, it is a reminder that there are other things outside of ourselves that are important. It is a time for awareness. Each year we look at what extra we might have and then divide it 4 ways so that each of us has a giving opportunity. Some years it is only 10.00 each and then there was the 100.00 year. We went to Toys R Us and each of us had 100.00 that we spent on toys and then donated to Toys for Tots. I think DH was a bigger kid than any of us. He really took sales to heart and made his money go far including two bikes. I was really proud of the kids. They looked for gifts for all ages and made their money go far. The manager of the store was so impressed with them that he gave them each 10% off and that made their money go even farther. Sometimes we have not had any extra but we always figure that each of us can eat a little less and share a little more and make sure that friends or neighbors that are alone have a dinner invitation.