View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
Prism99, Would you mind printing some links to where you got your information from? My daughter and I were just discussing this the other day and I'd like to send her the links. Thank you.
If you Google flame retardant children's pajamas, you will find lots of information. Here are some websites to start with:
http://www.pediatricsafety.net/2009/...me-retardants/
http://www.essortment.com/flame-resi...rsy-56191.html

Years ago I saw the flamability of a child's nightgown demonstrated on tv on a mannequin. They touched a lit match to the hem of a cotton nightgown and the nightgown exploded upwards to engulf the mannequin in something less than 3 seconds -- much too fast for an adult to drop and roll the child; hair would have already been on fire by that time. The same problem would occur with boy's loose-fitting PJs made out of cotton. That's the primary reason legislation was passed in the 70's to reduce children's deaths from fire. Statistics show that the legislation was effective, as child deaths from fire were reduced significantly in subsequent years. I'm sure there is a government website with that info online; I just don't have time to look for it tonight. Anyway, that's why so much of the flannel sold in stores is labeled "not for children's sleepwear".

In the same tv demo, they showed the problems with synthetic fabrics for sleepwear. It's true that they do not flame the way untreated cotton does; however, polyesters and other synthetics "melt". The resulting beads of liquid synthetic are very sticky and therefore can create very deep burns wherever they touch the skin.

As you can see from the websites above, there are also problems with the chemicals used to treat cotton fabric to make it flame retardant.

As for cotton quilts not burning in the same way that loose cotton nightgowns do, this can be tested with a sample. It will burn, but it will burn slowly; the quilt will not burst into flames the way flimsy draperies will. This is because a quilt is thick and air cannot reach the fabric from both sides simultaneously. Fire needs air to burn.

Everyone needs to make their own decisions. For children's sleepwear, my preference is for close-fitting 100% cotton that is not treated with flame retardant. (It is legal to sell untreated cotton sleepwear for children as long as it is close-fitting to the body, because this prevents both sides of the fabric from being exposed to air.) For quilt batting, my preference is for 100% cotton without flame retardant. I think it's a good idea to reduce children's exposure to chemicals in the environment whenever it is safe to do so.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Prism99; 12-03-2011 at 09:12 PM.