View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 03:42 AM
lnlwhitt

Default beginner quilting help needed...

I am a new quilter making my first quilt in a class. This week we are supposed to be doing the quilting using our walking foot and a design stitch following our rows that have been assembled. I am getting variation in the stitches sometimes tight and then loose. I'm pretty sure it's not the machine but me...
My questions are most important even with a walking foot am I the one ultimately responsible for the speed the fabric is feeding through to keep my stitches uniform? Hope that makes sense.
Also with the walking foot should I be changing any thing on my stitch set up, should they be longer stitches or less tension. It is sewing fine just not uniform looking.

I ripped out the 14" inches I did last night already....wow was that hard and need to start over. This is only wall hanging size but vertical and horizontal quilting is due on Wednesday. Not sure I will be able to do this part. Maybe I'm not meant to be a quilter or does part take time and practice. I know the free motion is learned but I didn't expect this part to be a challenge too.

Thanks
Lisa