Thread: Pets?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Edie

We have the product of some hanky panky in the barn. The farmer's Black Lab (duck hunter) and German Shorthair (pheasant hunter) met for a rendesvous and had 11 puppies, and we got the winner! Her name is Miss Bess - Bessie, Bessie Mae, hey you, and Roundhead (you should never speak your dog's real name in anger). She will be nine years old. She is my assistant in the quilt making department. If she lays down and curls up on a quilt that I am working on, it is a good quilt. If not, I would assume she would get up and walk to the couch, hop up and dream of Mr. Right (for all the good that would do!). She understands us, and we understand her. She "talks", lets us know what to do, when to do it, how to do it and "Let's get the show on the road - I am ready for my walk!!!" When my husband was quite ill, I prayed a lot and would sit on the living room floor and pray and Bess would sit by me, like she knew exactly what I was doing. When we are out for a walk and there is a young dog close by, she will get excited and bark and wag her tail, but when an old timer walks by, she moves over, out of respect I am sure, and doesn't get barky and rambunctious so as not to excite the other dog. She has a true heart, a feeling for our feelings and I dearly love her, except when I call her ROUNDHEAD!
She has eaten my husband's $2,000 hearing aid, three pair of my glasses and always broke the same lens, so I could not just switch lenses. (All this happened about seven years ago and she has outgrown most of that stuff and we have forgiven her and I am sure she doesn't remember a darn thing!!!

But as my signature says "Be thou comforted Little Dog. Thou, too, in Resurrection shall have a little Golden Tail." Martin Luther, I know we will meet again at the Rainbow Bridge. And I know there is another dog in our future. Edie