View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 AM
BellaBoo
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter1942 View Post
1 year I got a snow man kit which had the $1.00 sticker from the dollar store.
Now that is just plain gross slap in the face!
Why do people join groups if they don't care enough to put some thought and effort into it? That's why I don't do swaps unless there is a minimum value rule. High value doesn't mean high cost, that's the fun for me. To find great value for little money. I am part or four Secret Santas this year and the gifts I bought/made are:

1. Moda Christmas fabric bought last Jan. on clearance (regular 8.99 a yard, marked to $3) and using my Go cut out enough 6 1/2" tumbler blocks to make a queen size quilt top! I bought a nice hat box on clearance for $3 to hold the kit. Cost out of pocket for me- $27 for 8 yards of beautiful fabric plus box.

2. A small Tiffany style reading lamp bought at Lowe's on clearance last spring for $8, regular price $49, Ott bulb on clearance online for $11 regular $39 and free shipping. $19 of of pocket cost.

3. A pretty box full of homemade coffee cake, scones, biscotti, and muffins. Cost: ? Ingredients in my pantry.

4. A large fabric bowl made from cotton clothesline and wrapped in scraps from the above Moda fabric, filled with bath products from Body Works. Cost $16 for the cotton rope and $40 for the bath products. I saved enough $ on the other gifts, I bought the bath products at regular price. Out of pocket cost $56.