Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by barbz689 View Post
I have a slant needle 404 singer sewing machine. I have had it for awhile, but unfortunately I can't get it to run properly for long. I have tried different setting, but so far nothing works. For the last setting, I loosened the tension from nuber 3 back to zero and I set it to a larger stitich. It will stitch about 8 inches down the cloth, and then it starts gathering and the bobbin thread gets alll tangled. So I have to cut the fabric from the thread. I'm wondering if a repair man can even fix it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Check and see if the needle is installed flat side to the back.
Check and see if your needle is slightly bent.
Are there any burrs on your pressure foot, needle plate hole, or on the shuttle?
Some times the tension does need a bit of clean up. Put a bit of sewing machine oil on a piece of string and then 'floss' your tension. I have had dried up oil do that on one of my machines.
Is there any lint in the bobbin area? To clean, pull out the bobbin carrier - see manual - once you have done it and re-assembled it is pretty easy. The first time is the hardest - look at how it goes real good before you take it out. Take a picture if needed. keep us posted.