Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 PM
deemail

Originally Posted by carsto View Post
A friend asked me to make a quilt from her, much loved, late, Grandmothers clothing.
Initially my plan was a scrappy quilt
cut pieces to 2” x 4”
make squares out of (2) strips
make a block of 4 squares
(1) solid
(3) of strips, alternating vertical and horizontal (like a parkay wood floor)

Once I cut them, I realized using Granny’s mixture of polyester, knits, cotton wasn’t going to be easy! (Wish I would have thought to iron the fabric on to a flexible basting type material to hold their size/shape before cutting)

I currently have strips of (non-matching) fabrics varying in length from 6” to 18” but all 2” wide.

I’m looking for ideas to make this quilt easier.

There’s only enough fabric for a lap quilt.
I have done mainly strip quilting and pinwheels. (Cannot do pinwheels with this fabric!)
go to http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&max-results=50
I
have selected a page with many strip versions, but she does a ton of 'chinese coin' quilts which work easily with strips that are pre-cut.... you will just be selecting a solid or 'reads as solid' fabric as a background...on the link page, scroll down to a pink and white doll quilt (identified as such right below the picture)...that is a chinese coin quilt...but there are others there that could be used....