Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Desperately seeking ideas for precut fabric >

Desperately seeking ideas for precut fabric

Desperately seeking ideas for precut fabric

Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Default Desperately seeking ideas for precut fabric

A friend asked me to make a quilt from her, much loved, late, Grandmothers clothing.
Initially my plan was a scrappy quilt
cut pieces to 2” x 4”
make squares out of (2) strips
make a block of 4 squares
(1) solid
(3) of strips, alternating vertical and horizontal (like a parkay wood floor)

Once I cut them, I realized using Granny’s mixture of polyester, knits, cotton wasn’t going to be easy! (Wish I would have thought to iron the fabric on to a flexible basting type material to hold their size/shape before cutting)

I currently have strips of (non-matching) fabrics varying in length from 6” to 18” but all 2” wide.

I’m looking for ideas to make this quilt easier.

There’s only enough fabric for a lap quilt.
I have done mainly strip quilting and pinwheels. (Cannot do pinwheels with this fabric!)
Old 12-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Power Poster

There is an excellent tutorial on Bonnie Hunters site for strips. Go to www.quiltville.com and look through the quilts names on the side. Look for the one that is Basketweave strips or something like that I think. It uses simple strips cut into block sizes. The neat thing about this quilt pattern is that the blocks are turned on point. It makes all the difference in the simple blocks and makes a nice quilt top. She has many other ideas there too.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by carsto View Post
A friend asked me to make a quilt from her, much loved, late, Grandmothers clothing.
Initially my plan was a scrappy quilt
cut pieces to 2” x 4”
make squares out of (2) strips
make a block of 4 squares
(1) solid
(3) of strips, alternating vertical and horizontal (like a parkay wood floor)

Once I cut them, I realized using Granny’s mixture of polyester, knits, cotton wasn’t going to be easy! (Wish I would have thought to iron the fabric on to a flexible basting type material to hold their size/shape before cutting)

I currently have strips of (non-matching) fabrics varying in length from 6” to 18” but all 2” wide.

I’m looking for ideas to make this quilt easier.

There’s only enough fabric for a lap quilt.
I have done mainly strip quilting and pinwheels. (Cannot do pinwheels with this fabric!)
go to http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&max-results=50
I
have selected a page with many strip versions, but she does a ton of 'chinese coin' quilts which work easily with strips that are pre-cut.... you will just be selecting a solid or 'reads as solid' fabric as a background...on the link page, scroll down to a pink and white doll quilt (identified as such right below the picture)...that is a chinese coin quilt...but there are others there that could be used....