View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 05:03 AM
mrs. fitz

After several years of "The Cousins Quilt Guild" -- my cousin Janet and me -- we found a small local guild, joined, and we really enjoy it. Only about 12 of us and only 2 besides us who enjoy "quilting adventures" but at almost every meeting someone has a new technique to "teach", we always have good show and tell. No refreshments, no guest speakers. We try to find new members but quilting isn't that big in this area. Twice a year we go out to dinner and in the fall we go as a group to "Quilter's Day Out", a wonderful day of nothing but quilts held by a very large guild in the Poconos (Pennsylvania). We have a charity meeting once a month and have donated numerous quilts to local nursing homes.

Two years ago I discovered Empire Quilts in New York City and can still remember walking into that room with over 100 quilters assembled and feeling I had come home. I think there are well over 200 members, every meeting has something new and exsciting (and a vendor!), excellent speakers, lots going on. The guild takes summer hiatus and I can't wait for September to get back. It's also two blocks from NY's only quilt shop The City Quilter and yes once in a while members spend their lunch hour there instead of having lunch LOL.

Each of the two guilds gives me something different and I'm very fortunate to have both. I'd highly recommend giving a guild a try.