Thread: Do you remember
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Cornerstone quilter

Neither my mother nor grandmother sewed but my grandfather did. I loved him so much and still miss him. He died 4 months before my wedding, 40 years ago. He made his living as a tailor. I remember going to his shop as a little girl, watching as he fitted men in their suits that he made, and then when he retired he did alterations in a small shop in his house. I remember him teaching me, when I was in junior high, how to rip out seams where he needed to do some alterations, using a double edged razor blade. I got pretty good at not cutting into the fabric and I am very thankful for that instruction but I prefer a seam ripper today. He taught me how to alter the shoulder straps on my junior prom gown. I credit him for my life as a sewist, starting with making garments for myself while in high school that I never wore until my empire waist gown for my senior prom and then the same pattern for my wedding gown, and my bridesmaids gowns in velvet, down through the years to the bridesmaids gowns for my two sons' weddings and wedding gown with lace overlay and bridesmaids gowns for my daughter's wedding. I really don't do garments now, mostly quilts, long-arm quilting for myself and friends, and machine embroidery. As my children were growing I collected lots of patterns for children's clothes that I planned to make for them and never did so I saved them for grandchildren. I have 10 of them, 5 girls and 5 boys, and have not made any clothes for any of them. So much for plans. Several of them want to learn to sew and we have made plans to do that after Christmas-I hope those plans come to pass. And so, Grandpa, your legacy will hopefully continue. Sorry this is so long. It just seemed to flow out like it needed to be said. Thanks for reading.