Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you remember >

Do you remember

Do you remember

Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations View Post
My mother was always sewing and when we went to grandmas she was always sewing and had a project cutting out on her kitchen counter and a quilt in the frame in her dining room. I guess if i don't have some type of project spread out somewhere I feel lost and so almost lost.......I hope that makes sense.
I know exactly how you feel. I usully have at least two projects going all the time. Usually it is a project to be done by
hand while I sit and watch TV with my husband and a quilt in process on the sewing machine. My mother was the same, except that she didn't watch TV. She made all the clothes my brothers and I wore until we either got old enough to
make them for ourselves or had money to buy our own. We did get to buy our underwear and jeans or overalls at the
store by the time we were old enough to go to school. When we were very young, she even made our underclothes, and I'm not talking about diapers.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 PM

Neither my mother nor grandmother sewed but my grandfather did. I loved him so much and still miss him. He died 4 months before my wedding, 40 years ago. He made his living as a tailor. I remember going to his shop as a little girl, watching as he fitted men in their suits that he made, and then when he retired he did alterations in a small shop in his house. I remember him teaching me, when I was in junior high, how to rip out seams where he needed to do some alterations, using a double edged razor blade. I got pretty good at not cutting into the fabric and I am very thankful for that instruction but I prefer a seam ripper today. He taught me how to alter the shoulder straps on my junior prom gown. I credit him for my life as a sewist, starting with making garments for myself while in high school that I never wore until my empire waist gown for my senior prom and then the same pattern for my wedding gown, and my bridesmaids gowns in velvet, down through the years to the bridesmaids gowns for my two sons' weddings and wedding gown with lace overlay and bridesmaids gowns for my daughter's wedding. I really don't do garments now, mostly quilts, long-arm quilting for myself and friends, and machine embroidery. As my children were growing I collected lots of patterns for children's clothes that I planned to make for them and never did so I saved them for grandchildren. I have 10 of them, 5 girls and 5 boys, and have not made any clothes for any of them. So much for plans. Several of them want to learn to sew and we have made plans to do that after Christmas-I hope those plans come to pass. And so, Grandpa, your legacy will hopefully continue. Sorry this is so long. It just seemed to flow out like it needed to be said. Thanks for reading.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 PM

Nobody in my family really sewed, but I was at Wal-Mart with my mom (I was like 12, maybe 14? I don't remember for sure) and saw some fabric that I liked and my mom asked me what I would do with it. I said I would make a quilt. So she got the fabric, and I found a pattern online and went from there! I got a small cutting mat and a rotary cutter and went at it. I had no idea what I was doing, but I had fun working on it! When I look back to how I did it, I'm kind of embarrassed. But now I actually (well kinda) know what I'm doing!!
Now I have a sister that sews, but we don't get along very well.....