Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you remember where you purchased it?

I buy fabric from different sources (many on line) and going to fabric stores in different parts of the country. When the fabric came in the mail, I would check my order and put the receipt in the trash. If I run out of that fabric during a project, I would not remember where I bought it. It hit me finally to save the receipt which generally has the item # (when you order online) along with a swatch so I could reorder.

Blog Entries
    Nope, I don't normally remember where I bought fabric and I've been collecting for quite a few years. I recently started a Day and Night quilt from my stash and don't you know that I ran out of one of the fabrics. I have absolutely no idea where I got the fabric! I started a thread here and no one can find it here, and I can't find it on the internet either. I had to choose another fabric to coordinate and now it's going to be scrappy.

So, I'm wondering if I need to keep track somehow of any new fabrics I get. Hmmm, something to think about! :lol:

Sometimes I do but usually I don't.

I abbreviate & write on the selvage where I got the fabric & the yardage purchased & I do keep my receipts. If fabric was purchased for a particular quilt, I file the receipt with the picture of the finished quilt.

Blog Entries
    Remember where you bought it? I can't even remember buying it in the first place.

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Queen
    Remember where you bought it? I can't even remember buying it in the first place.

Mary
    LOL, too true.

Actually, I usually remember where I got a piece of fabric, but that doesn't help because by the time I need more it is no longer available.

I usually buy my fabric from Joanns so that helps.

Mary
    :thumbup: Oh, too funny! :lol:

As long as you have notes on the manufacturer and the line name and/or pattern number (all available on the selvage), where you bought it doesn't really matter if/when you need to look for more...at least it never has for me, and I go looking for old favorites quite often.

Me, too. I usually try to save the salvage so I can look on line if I need more. When I had a business I saved every receipt but now I'm very lax about it.

Mary

Blog Entries
    i keep every receipt for every item i purchase quilting related. so i know exactly what i put into a quilt- it also helps alot when i want to compare prices, or re-order.
    if i need to replace a tool i can look back and see where the last one came from and how much i paid, then i know if i'm getting a deal or where to look :-D

Blog Entries
    Great idea :D:D:D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have made labels to put on the fabric I buy. It tells me (when I write it on the line) When I bought it, how much I bought, how much it cost, what project it was bought for (if any), and if I can get more of it. (sometimes if bought at WM you can't get more). I also put on there what type fabric it is, and the color or print so I can make sure the correct label stays with the fabric. When I use some of it I adjust the amount of fabric in the bundle/fold.

----- I don't always stay up to date on the labels, but I try. It helps to know how much fabric is in the piece without unfolding it all the time to check if I have enough.

The worst is when I am going through my stash and I find a scrap of fabric that I know I used and for the life of me cannot remember what quilt it went into..Then later I am under a quilt and notice the backing...Oh, there it is!!!

Thanks for the input and additional ideas.

I also will write it on the selvedge. Has saved me more than once! :thumbup:

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    As long as you have notes on the manufacturer and the line name and/or pattern number (all available on the selvage), where you bought it doesn't really matter if/when you need to look for more...at least it never has for me, and I go looking for old favorites quite often.
    This works if the fabric is considerate enough to have some ID on it - and one remembers to leave the printed selvage on the fabric.

you would also have to be concerned about dye lots....

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    This works if the fabric is considerate enough to have some ID on it - and one remembers to leave the printed selvage on the fabric.
    Not necessarily. I note the information from the bolt end at the shop if I don't plan to buy more than half a yard (seldom happens :oops: ) and always for batiks that have no selvage info...also from online sellers at the time of purchase. When I get the fabric home, I cut a 2" square and keep it with the maker, line, color and pattern info on an index card. When/if source and price become important, I can easily add that info to the card.

And on the dye lots...it would only matter if you plan to put old and new into the same project, and not always even then.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Not necessarily. I note the information from the bolt end at the shop if I don't plan to buy more than half a yard (seldom happens :oops: ) and always for batiks that have no selvage info...also from online sellers at the time of purchase. When I get the fabric home, I cut a 2" square and keep it with the maker, line, color and pattern info on an index card. When/if source and price become important, I can easily add that info to the card.

And on the dye lots...it would only matter if you plan to put old and new into the same project, and not always even then.
    Wow - you are organized!