Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you remember >

Do you remember

Do you remember

Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM

My first memories are of me standing behind my moms sewing machine watching the the presser foot feed the fabric.it was just at my eye level. I would grab the section she was sewing and try to help by pulling on it. Needless to say I wasn't any help. Mom only sewed simple clothes that didn't involve zippers or buttons. She was just to busy with all the cows she had to milk and chickens and hogs to feed. She was a hard working farm wife.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 AM

When I was 2, I was pulling out my hair. My mother took me to the doctor who told her that I needed something to do with my hands. I was "rewarded" with a big bag of crafty toys which included sewing cards - and a short haircut.

(For the young-uns in the audience, sewing cards were cardboards pictures with holes punched, through which a colorful shoelace was pulled through. Do they still make them?)
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 AM

My mother did not sew, but I do remember my grandmother gave us two card board templates, so we could help in cutting our pieces for a quilt. I also remember my grandmother was always repairing or hand quilting every quilt because she did not have a sewing machine. Those memories I will always treasure and I am the only one in our extended family that quilts. Guess I took this after grandma.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 AM

I remember her sewing when I was for or 5 years old. I used to play with the fabric scraps. Then she taught me how to hand sew the scraps together. I remember how big my stitches were . When I was 8 I hand sewed a skirt for my little sister. That's when Mom decided it was time to teach me to cut out a pattern and machine sew. I loved it! My mother made us such beautiful coats, hats and dresses. And she worked full time as a surgical nurse too which was a little unusual back in the 1940's and 50's. None of my friends Mom's worked. We did have a live in maid so at least she didn't have to do all the cleaning, laundry and cooking. She was a wonderful inspiration to me!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Default helenquilt

My first sewing was an embrodier I did sitting in a rocking chair as a grandmother is a school play. I was 6 yrs old. I don't think I ever stopped sewing. My mother made all my clothes out of feed sacks and my underwear out of flour sacks. The sacks were so tightly woven that they would hold water. Once when trying to cross some high water on the way to school, my feet would not touch the ground because of my panties. Of course the had tight elastic in the legs and waist.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 PM

My mother made all our clothes from those patterns that were not printed, or from just looking something. We had beautiful clothes.

I always said, however, that my mil got her first gray hairs from trying to teach me to quilt with a thimble or to knit. I hope she's smiling (and not going "tsk, tsk") at the quilting progress I've made since retirement. Thanks for the nostalgic memories.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H View Post
My mom was doing everything sewing, knitting, liquid embroidery - I really didn't get into sewing until home ec in school but I was involved in cross stitching (self taught) along with a lot of other hand crafts.
I forgot all about liquid embroidery. I remember having fun using that back in the 70's. Is it still around?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Both my Grandmas were quilters, and I can still remember my excitement when one of them let me go through her box of scraps and pick some out for a quilt of my own! I have never outgrown loving to touch fabric
Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 AM

sugar, my mother had my sister and I sewing at about 10 years old. Pajamas first, easy blouse next, easy skirt etc..I eventually made all my own clothes, even winter coats. We got wool remnants at the local wool factory. Long long time ago. Then ONE DAY family circle magazine's cover had a QUILT. It's been these wonderful blankets since. Love, Quilting Joan
Old 12-06-2011, 01:13 PM

My grandmother was a seamstress. She made clothes of all kinds. The ones I really remember were the beautiful ball gowns out of satin and silk and velvet. She made quilts with the scraps. The most memorable one she made was a fan quilt made with silk, satin, and velvet in the fans. I have not seen that quilt in years....I think my cousin has it. She used to make all our clothes as well. I used to love to sit and watch her sew. She even made clothes for my dolls. I started making clothes when I was in my teens....took home economics and had to sew some. My mom and I had a sort of assembly line going with making skirts and dresses. I would cut them out and pin them and she would sew. Then we would change around and she would pin and I would sew. I did most of the cutting as she didn't like to do that. She put in all the zippers as I didn't like that part. I got away from sewing for a while and then got back into it with quilting when I lost my son in 1995. Now it really is a part of me.....