Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Quilting Nonnie

I love the loft of wool, but I too like heavy quilts. I just don't feel warm if there's no weight on top of me. I am going to really benefit from the ideas here.

When I was a child (mid 1950's) my aunt made me a flannel quilt. She was quilter extreme and very talented! For this one she took a wool army blanket and used it as batting then tied the quilt. I loved that quilt to death. I loved the part when I got under the quilt, it would be cool to touch and then warm up to toasty.

When my daughter was young, I still had the quilt. It was frayed in a lot of places and the back was almost completely gone. I wasn't a quilter yet, but I set about to "restore" it so she could have it. My friend and I just took fabric and made squares to cover the frayed ones and then zigzagged them on. After that I got a whole new piece of flannel and put it over the backing. Blissfully, I don't remember how I sewed all of it back together!

My daughter absolutely loved that quilt. She called it her "cold blankie." She too loved the way it felt cool when you got under. Bless that army blanket. It brought a lot of joy in that quilt!

P.S. The "Army" blankets came from my uncle who was in the Marines during WWII.