Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you have more than one layer of batting in a quilt? >

Can you have more than one layer of batting in a quilt?

Can you have more than one layer of batting in a quilt?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM

I love the loft of wool, but I too like heavy quilts. I just don't feel warm if there's no weight on top of me. I am going to really benefit from the ideas here.

When I was a child (mid 1950's) my aunt made me a flannel quilt. She was quilter extreme and very talented! For this one she took a wool army blanket and used it as batting then tied the quilt. I loved that quilt to death. I loved the part when I got under the quilt, it would be cool to touch and then warm up to toasty.

When my daughter was young, I still had the quilt. It was frayed in a lot of places and the back was almost completely gone. I wasn't a quilter yet, but I set about to "restore" it so she could have it. My friend and I just took fabric and made squares to cover the frayed ones and then zigzagged them on. After that I got a whole new piece of flannel and put it over the backing. Blissfully, I don't remember how I sewed all of it back together!

My daughter absolutely loved that quilt. She called it her "cold blankie." She too loved the way it felt cool when you got under. Bless that army blanket. It brought a lot of joy in that quilt!

P.S. The "Army" blankets came from my uncle who was in the Marines during WWII.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Power Poster

My bedroom has no heat. I made a flannel quilt for my bed and put two layers of warm and natural in it. It was quite a job to quilt even on the longarm, but I think if you are using cotton you could quilt it easily.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbere15 View Post
, double sided flannel with one layer of warm and natural and it takes over 5 hours to dry it in the dryer.
Wow, are you sure your dryer vent isn't clogged?? I have 2 quilts that are double sided flannel with W&N and they both are dry after an hour on med-low.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM

I put 2 layers of warm and natural in my son-in-law's quilt that he wanted for his semi. He wanted it extra warm. I hand quilted it, but I have to admit it wasn't my finest quilting. The stitches were a little long. I enjoyed designing, constructing, and quilting it, even if it was challenging.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:29 AM

I am so glad I ran across this thread. Just yesterday a friend of my DH asked if he thought I would make a heavy quilt for him. The friend said he loves the old quilts that weigh a ton that his mother used to make, but the one he has left is wearing out and has a big hole in it. He still uses it though. He said he and his two little girls would all get in a big chair with the quilt and snuggle together and they love it.

So now he wants to ask me to make him a new really heavy quilt. I was sort of at a loss because I don't care for heavy quilts and I know modern batting is really pretty light. The thought had crossed my mind about doubling the batting, and this discussion has given me so many ideas! Thanks to everyone for the inspiration.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 AM

My FIL had one when he was a boy that he loved, and I was recently able to see it. It appeared to be made of leftover home dec fabrics, from the Depression era I think, and was both heavy and ugly, lol. It was very faded and dingy - I wondered if it had spent some time on the garage floor under a car. But he loved that quilt. It brought back lots of memories for him; he spent hours telling me all kinds of stories.

I'm in the process of making a quilt from wool remnants (I live near a Pendleton factory) and it will be pretty heavy.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 AM

I took a long arm class and the teacher talked about using double batting. In fact, she mentioned that sometimes she uses two different battings at the same time to give her quilts a little different look. I've only quilted with one batting, but hopefully someday I'll get around to trying the two battings.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
There really aren't any quilt police (although some people think they are honorary members!) so it's your quilt, your decision. Put in one layer or several layers. Back it with muslin, flannel, fleece, quilt fabric, or anything you want. Tie it, hand stitch it, or machine stitch it in any pattern you want. Remember, this is YOUR quilt and YOU design it to be what you want. No rules, only the satisfaction of doing it your way for yourself and/or your family and friends.
Right on!!! Great advice......