View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 PM
katier825

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Look at the width of the feeddog teeth on the walking feet. The one from April's is the only walking foot I know where the width of the walking foot is narrow enough to engage the FW feed dogs. The ebay one is too wide. Yes, it will fit your machine and yes, it will move some fabric, but it won't work in conjunction with your FW feed dogs to move the fabric in the manner walking feet are supposed to. Walking feet are supposed to match the width of the feed dogs in your machine. Also the one from April's matches the shape of the FW feed dogs and the other one does not. Maybe someone other than Aprils carries that brand, but I've never seen it elsewhere.
I see what you are referring to now. I had already ordered the one on ebay, but it is returnable. If it's not right, I'll get the one from April's site.

I have seen differing opinions from people about whether or not the Featherweight can handle quilting. My gut tells me yes because they are still going strong after 60+ years. Would today's machines last that long? I seriously doubt it! They are built so well, they probably could handle it, maybe not for extended periods of time, but for the few hours a week of quilting I do, it's probably fine. I have sewn with mine for 8-10 hours on the weekends and never had a problem. I do keep it oiled and frequently remove lint. Anyway, I did email April and ask her opinion on the subject. She says she agrees with me and she has used hers for quilting many times. I'm sure there are many people that want to preserve the condition of their machines. I didn't buy mine as a collection piece; I bought mine to be used, and it is a pleasure to sew on it! For me, it's more of a workhorse than a delicate piece of machinery. But she's a beautiful workhorse! If I ever work her to death, I will surely replace her with another one.