Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you quilt on your featherweight?

Blog Entries

Do you quilt on your featherweight?

I came across a walking foot for a featherweight and it got me thinking about quilting with my machine. So far, I've only used it for piecing and general sewing. Do you quilt with yours? Do you also do FMQ on it? I don't have a feed dog cover, but know I can tape a business card or similar over them.

I don't own a FW, but I've been told and read online that the motor on the FW wasn't designed for long periods of FMQ. That they can and do burn out. I don't know if this is myth or legend, but there you go:>

I haven't ever tried to quilt with mine, just do piecing. I love it for piecing, but it just seems "dinky" compared to my 15-91 (which is what I have used for 99% of my quilting). I'm not sure I'd want to wrangle a whole quilt through the FW (and I generally make lap quilts and baby quilts, so they aren't too large).
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Blog Entries
    I was thinking more on the lines of small items, table runners, wall hangings, baby quilts. I'd stick with my viking for the larger ones. It's just that the featherweight is set up most of the time, and I only set the viking up when I have actual quilting to do. I live in a small mobile and have a serious lack of space. I can't keep them both set up at the same time.

Blog Entries
    just be sure to stop often and be sure the motor does not overheat.....better for your legs to if you stop and walk around a bit.

Blog Entries
    I use my FW to piece and to do simple, stitch in the ditch or straight line quilting on small items such as table runners, etc. I use my FW for long periods of time and it has never overheated. I am, though, careful to keep it oiled and lubricated on a regular basis. My walking foot works great, but make sure you get one that fits your FW properly!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I've not had any problems with my featherweight overheating. Did have that happen with a more modern machine once a few years ago before I started quilting.

Linda - where did you get your walking foot for the featherweight? I want to get one but don't know enough to determine which one to get.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    I decided to get the foot I saw on eBay. The price was decent, $15.95 with free shipping. They have more if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380157329078...84.m1423.l2649

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I decided to get the foot I saw on eBay. The price was decent, $15.95 with free shipping. They have more if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the link - haven't used my FW much, but will keep this in mind!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    I've not had any problems with my featherweight overheating. Did have that happen with a more modern machine once a few years ago before I started quilting.

Linda - where did you get your walking foot for the featherweight? I want to get one but don't know enough to determine which one to get.
    I purchased it from April 1930's - guaranteed to fit a FW. I had tried a generic one, but after a few stitches I noticed it was SCRATCHING my FW!!!!!!!!!! Then, when I tried to get it off, the screw had tightened so much that I couldn't budge it. Even my DH had a terrible time getting it off! The one from April 1930's works great! She is great to deal with!
    http://www.april1930s.com
    Right now they are $28.95 with free shipping - go to quilting attachments and scroll down. I think the price is good - I paid $85.00 for my Viking walking foot... (no one ever said I was intelligent...)
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I do FMQ on small projects all the time on my Featherweight. Baby blankets, table toppers, pot holders, wall hangings. I do all my piecing on the 221. I have not used my Brothers or Janome since I took the little girl out. I picked one that already had surface damage so I wouldn't feel bad about using it so much. I just love it. Be sure to loosen the pressure foot tension with the screw at the top left of the machine, for easier movement.

Blog Entries
    I teach FMQ and use my FW in my class. I do most of my quilting on it. And yes, I sometimes do big quilts. Never had a problem with the machine overheating. I set the stitch length to zero and do not cover my feed dogs. I release all of the pressure on the foot for FMQ, and normalize it for stitching in the ditch. While I have a walking foot, I don't use it.
    Stephanie in Mena

Quilting and FMQ are different animals. Simply doing SITD quilting isn't going to trouble the motor, but the speed of a lot of FMQ over several hourse is something I'd be concerned about...

Sorry, but the width of those feeddogs on the walking foot look too wide for a FW! If you look at the one at April's site, you'll see how narrow her FW walking foot is, and how the foot has "off-set" teeth. The one you posted a link to looks to be just a generic, low shank walking foot and if the feeding teeth are wider than the FW feed dogs, it's not going to feed the quilt properly through the machine.

Hi Ladies that own featherweights! I just bought one on ebay for myself for Christmas...I have wanted one for a long time and went back and forth with the ads on e bay. It is hard to tell if the machine will be good when buying on e bay. I checked out sites and did research about what to "look for"....I could not afford some of the ones that were really mint looking...some of the prices are way up there. I finally settled on an ad that was running a featherweight pretty mint looking made in 1952. It has the case and alot of extras so I am excited as she accepted my best offer of $250 when it was posted for $350. What a surprise!

I came across a walking foot for a featherweight and it got me thinking about quilting with my machine. So far, I've only used it for piecing and general sewing. Do you quilt with yours? Do you also do FMQ on it? I don't have a feed dog cover, but know I can tape a business card or similar over them.
    I love my Featherweight for free motion quilting. I did all the quilting on this one and got a purple over all show ribbon for my quilting on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Linda - Thanks so much for the link to get a walking foot for my featherweight! I just now ordered one and can hardly wait to get it.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries

FW got hot on me.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
    I use my FW to piece and to do simple, stitch in the ditch or straight line quilting on small items such as table runners, etc. I use my FW for long periods of time and it has never overheated. I am, though, careful to keep it oiled and lubricated on a regular basis. My walking foot works great, but make sure you get one that fits your FW properly!
    Was sewing Stockings for charity the other day, couple hours or so. My FW started slowing down and I reached around to feel the motor, it was hot. Had not been sewing constantly, but sewing. Had to shut it down and finish up on a Kenmore. Haven't had the FW back out to sew on it yet and check it out, but the motor did get too hot to hold my hand on.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    Linda - Thanks so much for the link to get a walking foot for my featherweight! I just now ordered one and can hardly wait to get it.
    You are more than welcome! I want to see what you create with it!
    Linda
    PS I love your avatar! Every time I see it, it makes me smile!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JabezRose View Post
    Was sewing Stockings for charity the other day, couple hours or so. My FW started slowing down and I reached around to feel the motor, it was hot. Had not been sewing constantly, but sewing. Had to shut it down and finish up on a Kenmore. Haven't had the FW back out to sew on it yet and check it out, but the motor did get too hot to hold my hand on.
    Wow - that is not good. Hope it is OK. I know they are "fussy" about being oiled and lubricated on a regular basis. Maybe that is all it needs. Let us know what you figure out so we can all try to avoid it happening to us.
    Linda

I am replying to my own post....I did not purchase the machine! I decided on another FW made in 1946.

Stephanie,
    Can you tell me what you mean by you "do not cover my feed dogs" and how do you release all the pressure on the foot? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea46 View Post
    Stephanie,
    Can you tell me what you mean by you "do not cover my feed dogs" and how do you release all the pressure on the foot? Thanks!
    Covers were made for the feed dogs on the FW and many other machines. I have these covers, however using them takes up a little space over the feed dogs, so I do not use them, nor do I use a business card or anything else over my feed dogs. Instead, by setting my stitch length at zero, it sort of negates the action of the feed.
    On the top of the machine, right over the pressure foot, is a screw. By turning the screw anti-clockwise, the pressure on the foot is lessened. Do not remove the screw; rather, keep turning it until the quilt sandwich can easily move under your darning foot.
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JabezRose View Post
    When was the last time you had it in for a service?
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Sorry, but the width of those feeddogs on the walking foot look too wide for a FW! If you look at the one at April's site, you'll see how narrow her FW walking foot is, and how the foot has "off-set" teeth. The one you posted a link to looks to be just a generic, low shank walking foot and if the feeding teeth are wider than the FW feed dogs, it's not going to feed the quilt properly through the machine.
    Looking at them side by side, I do not see a difference. I'm not really sure what you mean about part being too wide. Can you explain it better?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast