Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do you quilt on your featherweight? >

Do you quilt on your featherweight?

Do you quilt on your featherweight?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I do FMQ on small projects all the time on my Featherweight. Baby blankets, table toppers, pot holders, wall hangings. I do all my piecing on the 221. I have not used my Brothers or Janome since I took the little girl out. I picked one that already had surface damage so I wouldn't feel bad about using it so much. I just love it. Be sure to loosen the pressure foot tension with the screw at the top left of the machine, for easier movement.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 AM

I teach FMQ and use my FW in my class. I do most of my quilting on it. And yes, I sometimes do big quilts. Never had a problem with the machine overheating. I set the stitch length to zero and do not cover my feed dogs. I release all of the pressure on the foot for FMQ, and normalize it for stitching in the ditch. While I have a walking foot, I don't use it.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 AM

Quilting and FMQ are different animals. Simply doing SITD quilting isn't going to trouble the motor, but the speed of a lot of FMQ over several hourse is something I'd be concerned about...
Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I decided to get the foot I saw on eBay. The price was decent, $15.95 with free shipping. They have more if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380157329078...84.m1423.l2649
Sorry, but the width of those feeddogs on the walking foot look too wide for a FW! If you look at the one at April's site, you'll see how narrow her FW walking foot is, and how the foot has "off-set" teeth. The one you posted a link to looks to be just a generic, low shank walking foot and if the feeding teeth are wider than the FW feed dogs, it's not going to feed the quilt properly through the machine.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Hi Ladies that own featherweights! I just bought one on ebay for myself for Christmas...I have wanted one for a long time and went back and forth with the ads on e bay. It is hard to tell if the machine will be good when buying on e bay. I checked out sites and did research about what to "look for"....I could not afford some of the ones that were really mint looking...some of the prices are way up there. I finally settled on an ad that was running a featherweight pretty mint looking made in 1952. It has the case and alot of extras so I am excited as she accepted my best offer of $250 when it was posted for $350. What a surprise!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I came across a walking foot for a featherweight and it got me thinking about quilting with my machine. So far, I've only used it for piecing and general sewing. Do you quilt with yours? Do you also do FMQ on it? I don't have a feed dog cover, but know I can tape a business card or similar over them.
I love my Featherweight for free motion quilting. I did all the quilting on this one and got a purple over all show ribbon for my quilting on it.
Attached Thumbnails georgia-my-mind-close-up.jpg  
Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 PM

Linda - Thanks so much for the link to get a walking foot for my featherweight! I just now ordered one and can hardly wait to get it.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Default FW got hot on me.

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
I use my FW to piece and to do simple, stitch in the ditch or straight line quilting on small items such as table runners, etc. I use my FW for long periods of time and it has never overheated. I am, though, careful to keep it oiled and lubricated on a regular basis. My walking foot works great, but make sure you get one that fits your FW properly!
Was sewing Stockings for charity the other day, couple hours or so. My FW started slowing down and I reached around to feel the motor, it was hot. Had not been sewing constantly, but sewing. Had to shut it down and finish up on a Kenmore. Haven't had the FW back out to sew on it yet and check it out, but the motor did get too hot to hold my hand on.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Linda - Thanks so much for the link to get a walking foot for my featherweight! I just now ordered one and can hardly wait to get it.
You are more than welcome! I want to see what you create with it!
Linda
PS I love your avatar! Every time I see it, it makes me smile!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by JabezRose View Post
Was sewing Stockings for charity the other day, couple hours or so. My FW started slowing down and I reached around to feel the motor, it was hot. Had not been sewing constantly, but sewing. Had to shut it down and finish up on a Kenmore. Haven't had the FW back out to sew on it yet and check it out, but the motor did get too hot to hold my hand on.
Wow - that is not good. Hope it is OK. I know they are "fussy" about being oiled and lubricated on a regular basis. Maybe that is all it needs. Let us know what you figure out so we can all try to avoid it happening to us.