Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do you quilt on your featherweight? >

Do you quilt on your featherweight?

Do you quilt on your featherweight?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Motors are what would burn out and those can be replaced. I agree quilting with a walking foot is probably not going to harm your machine unless it's on the verge of going out anyway. I guess if one is o.k. with long periods of FMQ and possibly having to replace the motor...but I'm with you. I USE my machines and I agree that that's what they're there for.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I see what you are referring to now. I had already ordered the one on ebay, but it is returnable. If it's not right, I'll get the one from April's site.

I have seen differing opinions from people about whether or not the Featherweight can handle quilting. My gut tells me yes because they are still going strong after 60+ years. Would today's machines last that long? I seriously doubt it! They are built so well, they probably could handle it, maybe not for extended periods of time, but for the few hours a week of quilting I do, it's probably fine. I have sewn with mine for 8-10 hours on the weekends and never had a problem. I do keep it oiled and frequently remove lint. Anyway, I did email April and ask her opinion on the subject. She says she agrees with me and she has used hers for quilting many times. I'm sure there are many people that want to preserve the condition of their machines. I didn't buy mine as a collection piece; I bought mine to be used, and it is a pleasure to sew on it! For me, it's more of a workhorse than a delicate piece of machinery. But she's a beautiful workhorse! If I ever work her to death, I will surely replace her with another one.
I agree with you on using the machine! Although I love the looks of it, I bought it to use! In addition to keeping it oiled, make sure to lubricate (not oil!!!!) the motor. I think it is recommended to lube the motor every 6 months - check you manual and it will tell you for sure.
Happy FMQ on your beautiful FW!
Linda
Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 PM

I too have always been told not to quilt on a featherweight. They weren't meant for long periods of sewing like that...the motor speeded up. If you want a work horse get a Singer 301. Keep you featherweight to piece on and fmq on a 301!!! My opinion only!!! LOL
Old 12-16-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by joycet View Post
I too have always been told not to quilt on a featherweight. They weren't meant for long periods of sewing like that...the motor speeded up. If you want a work horse get a Singer 301. Keep you featherweight to piece on and fmq on a 301!!! My opinion only!!! LOL
I don't have a lot of spare time, so I wouldn't be quilting on it for long periods of time. I would be using it for smaller items, probably largest would be a baby quilt, if that. I do have a nice Singer 201 that was given to me, but I don't have space to keep it set up. I hope to someday...it does sew beautifully.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:15 PM

I decided to get the foot I saw on eBay. The price was decent, $15.95 with free shipping. They have more if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380157329078...84.m1423.l2649
A note to follow up. I received this, but it does not line up properly. Fortunately, they do allow returns and I will be sending it back. I've already ordered the one from April 1930's website to replace it.

Thanks for the comments on this!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:08 PM

A note to follow up. I received this, but it does not line up properly. Fortunately, they do allow returns and I will be sending it back. I've already ordered the one from April 1930's website to replace it.

Thanks for the comments on this!
Yup, that's how they all are...except the one April sells. I only wish they sold one for the 301's that lines up with the feed dogs:<
Old 12-28-2011, 03:28 PM

The foot from April's fits perfectly! Thanks for recommending it!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:57 AM

I am a new FW owner and was reading your post. When you say you do not cover the feed dogs does that mean you take the throat plate off?