Thread: Too Funny
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Sunnye

Originally Posted by Kas View Post
I just have to say something here. There is no seperation of church and state in the constitution. There is freedom OF religion. The first amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEROF (emphasis added); or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." And yes, there are many schools that provide a time and place during school hours for Muslim students to pray. Fact. It should be all or none.
First Amendment to the Constitution; Separation of church and state is meant to protect all of us.
But if you force children to pray in school, you are denying the right NOT to pray, NOT to engage in any religion, which is the same as forcing them to "practice" YOUR religion. That's why people left England; they did have a religion, it just wasn't the king's religion and he said that wasn't allowed. What if MY "religion" is being an atheist? And prayer is not always the answer anyway. Actions are what counts in the real world. Prayers are for your own peace in private.
Aristotle said, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Now, we've been serious for too long here over something that was meant to be humorous. Shall we move on and agree to disagree? If no,t we should probably move this discussion to some political blog. Holy cow, I don't want to go there!