Thread: Too Funny
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
First Amendment to the Constitution; Separation of church and state is meant to protect all of us.
But if you force children to pray in school, you are denying the right NOT to pray, NOT to engage in any religion, which is the same as forcing them to "practice" YOUR religion. That's why people left England; they did have a religion, it just wasn't the king's religion and he said that wasn't allowed. What if MY "religion" is being an atheist? And prayer is not always the answer anyway. Actions are what counts in the real world. Prayers are for your own peace in private.
Aristotle said, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Now, we've been serious for too long here over something that was meant to be humorous. Shall we move on and agree to disagree? If no,t we should probably move this discussion to some political blog. Holy cow, I don't want to go there!
I guess you didn't read the 1st amendment. The only mention of the words "seperation of church and state" was in a letter Jefferson wrote to a church to assure them the government would not force them to practice one religion or another. That is one of the reasons the founding fathers wrote the 1st amendment. It protects your right to practice your religion if you want. It is no longer even legal to have a moment of silence to pray or not or take a nap on your desk anymore. And that is because of political correctness. No one is forcing anyone to pray, they are just asking for the right to do so themselves, out loud, if they so chose. Without being suspended or otherwise punished. The definition of atheism is the absence of religion, so it can't technically be your religion. And if you are an athiest, why is your belief more important than someone elses? Why should it be forced on everyone else? You are doing what you accuse others of doing.