Thread: Spelling
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM
alwayslearning

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
I'm so sorry for those of us who can't tolerate when people make mistakes in spelling and grammar. I for one use the Google tool bar spell checker. But not everone speaks English and I for one speak HillBilly. I don't have a grammar checker, sorry about that. Please learn to be more Tolerate in 2012. This will be my prayer for the board.
I also use the Google tool bar spell check and one thing I like about it is that you can teach it to recognize "new words" such as BOM. I do not think it is intolerant to express an opinion that misspelling is jarring. Spelling and grammar were a fundamental part of my education. I find today's casualness unfortunate. English is very difficult language. For my generation, writing was a form of communication that said I want you to understand me and I want to understand you and I am willing to spend the time doing it. I certainly understand that is not what goes on today where so many go fast, fast, faster. That is the privilege of the individual as is expressing a point of view. My impression is that the current mode is not so much a form of dialogue, but monologue. Each chooses their own manner of communicating. Let us all try to be tolerant of each other's opinions.