Thread: Washing Quilts
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 AM
IAmCatOwned

I use Orvus paste which is a concentrate. I happen to go to a Feed and Grain store (birdseed) and they ordered a 7 pound container for me. 10 years later, I'm still using it, but I will have to order some soon. It's about $26 and can be ordered through janitor supply companies, veterinary companies, feed stores and the like. Typically used as a horse shampoo, it's very gentle and often recommended for quilts and fine needlework as it doesn't have the additives common in most detergents. For my water, I use between 1/8 and 1/4 cup per wash - either one large quilt or 2 smaller quilts (or one quilt and other stuff). You can also use Woolite - it does not contain bleach of any kind. In either case, I use cold, not warm or hot, to wash quilts.

I disagree with posters who say that they just use regular detergent. Most detergents will fade your colors over time because they contain bleach or variants.

As far as drying, I usually hang outside to dry (for thick batts, fluff for 10 minutes on low in dryer after you take off line), but if I need to use the dryer, I set it on low or delicate and dry until just damp. Then lay out to finish drying. Drying it to death just shortens the quilt's life.

[edited to add] Just wanted to add that if you wanted to use regular detergent and dryer to clean/dry your quilt, there is no reason why you can't. Lots of women do. You should simply know that your quilt will not last as long.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 12-19-2011 at 08:32 AM.