Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Quilts >

Washing Quilts

Washing Quilts

Old 12-19-2011, 05:52 AM

Question Washing Quilts

What to use when washing our quilts? It seems that regular laundry detergent does affect color after a time. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 AM

Personally, that's all I use...same detergent that I use for all of my laundry. Wash in warm water, dry in dryer till done. I guess if your're concerned about fading, during the prewash phase, use vinegar to help set the colors??? Supposed to help retain colors but I've not done it myself.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 AM

I wash in cold water, regular detergent , about every three weeks. because they are used on bed all the time. Put in dryer until dry. joyce j
Old 12-19-2011, 06:24 AM

Do a search on this topic. I use special quilt washing stuff that I think that I got a Joanns or my LQS but my LQS recommends stuff that is used by farmers to wash horses etc. You can buy it at a farm supply store by the gallon but it is very expensive and a gallon goes a long way. I will air dry my quilts to save wear and tear that the dryer does to the clothes.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

i use ivory snow since most of ones i do are baby quilts for charity
Old 12-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I just use cold water and regular detergent.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 AM

I use Tide coldwater, (no scent) and Shout colorcatchers and dry in dryer.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:19 AM

I also use Tide cold water, dry in the dryer until nearly dry, then hang outside if it's nice out for the fresh air smell.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 AM

I use Orvus paste which is a concentrate. I happen to go to a Feed and Grain store (birdseed) and they ordered a 7 pound container for me. 10 years later, I'm still using it, but I will have to order some soon. It's about $26 and can be ordered through janitor supply companies, veterinary companies, feed stores and the like. Typically used as a horse shampoo, it's very gentle and often recommended for quilts and fine needlework as it doesn't have the additives common in most detergents. For my water, I use between 1/8 and 1/4 cup per wash - either one large quilt or 2 smaller quilts (or one quilt and other stuff). You can also use Woolite - it does not contain bleach of any kind. In either case, I use cold, not warm or hot, to wash quilts.

I disagree with posters who say that they just use regular detergent. Most detergents will fade your colors over time because they contain bleach or variants.

As far as drying, I usually hang outside to dry (for thick batts, fluff for 10 minutes on low in dryer after you take off line), but if I need to use the dryer, I set it on low or delicate and dry until just damp. Then lay out to finish drying. Drying it to death just shortens the quilt's life.

[edited to add] Just wanted to add that if you wanted to use regular detergent and dryer to clean/dry your quilt, there is no reason why you can't. Lots of women do. You should simply know that your quilt will not last as long.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 12-19-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I've also heard of using Orvus paste. I've been intending to go down to Coastal Farm and Ranch Supply, because I know they have it, but I just haven't made the trip yet. After reading the previous post I think I will make that trip sooner than later.