View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 07:35 PM
BlueChicken

My condolences too.... what a terrible thing to be going through.

The memory quilt is an awesome idea. I have made two, for my niece and nephew, when their dad died a couple of years ago. It's difficult to make, emotionally, but relatively simple as far as technique goes. Use an iron on stabiliser on the fabrics before you cut them up (I used a product called violene (sp?) that you normally iron on for interfacing) and then simply cut the fabrics as per normal. I think simple patterns work best, minimal handling of the pieces and less bulk for the seams.

My only caution would be about when to mention the possibility of doing it. Some people find the idea of a quilt made out of a dead person's clothes quite morbid and upsetting, and it's possible to suggest it too soon. But it's such a perfect way to deal with their clothes... my nephew was just 7 when I gave him his quilt, and he said "it's like having daddy's arms around me". At the same time, it can be thrown across the back of the couch and the average person would have no idea of the significance, so it's not an over the top memorial.

My nephews quilt, made from his dad's shirts and rugby jerseys. I kept the design very simple, but it's still effective.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]44373[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-44373.jpe