Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tonight was a hard night.... >

Tonight was a hard night....

Tonight was a hard night....

Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 3cats
This is my first time responding to anythng on this great site.

However, I wanted to respond with a "heads-up". My condolences to all. This is a very sad sad situation.

The others have said simple pattern and I agree with all they have said.
I just want to make this statement. When my husband died I wanted to make a quilt out of his flannel shirts. My younger son and my sister-in-law were thrilled. So I made one for each of them and myself. They all love them. HOWEVER, my older son DID NOT WANT ONE. I was not hurt by this, although I really did not understand, but I respected his wishes and WAS VERY GLAD I had asked him before I started on one for him.

So, if your friend is not receptive to this idea, do not feel badly. If she says no, prehaps in several months time, she might change her mind. I think it is a very comforting thing, but others might not. My best friend, could not even consider this thought, but another friend made 3 lovely small laprobe quilts from her husbands shirts for family. So, it is just an individual feeling. I hope she will be happy by this great suggestion, but don't be offended if she says No.

Thanks for all the great ideas on this site.

Julie
She's the one who asked our mutual friend to ask me. They're very close and this friend is her shoulder to lean on at this time in her life.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Ginnie, I think it is wonderful that SHE ASKED for the quilt while there are still articles around to use in it. Sometimes people clean out things and then wish they had saved this or that for.......

I think it is funny how we read the threads and then do not see what is being said. :?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:23 PM

:cry: Oh, that is so heartbreaking. I am so sorry. I rode my own motorcycle myself and I really hate to hear of such a tragedy. My prayers are with her! I have sold my bike though, but I always had that fear. I hope your friend's broken heart will mend again, please let her know we all are very concerned and for you too.

If I lost my love one like that, I'd want that quilt made as soon as possible so I could just wrap it around me and cry my heart out. Holding the quilt that was made from my loved ones clothes would make me feel their spirit is with me. I would not put it away folded up to hold on to it, I'd have it at all times right there on the back of my chair, so when I sit down, I can just grab it and hold it to my heart, lay my head against it and whisper "I love and miss you so much". That would be my healing process. It would mean so much to me.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:39 PM

Wonderful then.. Didn't realize that. I hope then that everything goes very smoothly. I know whatever pattern you chose will be beautiful. Everyone on this site is very very talented. Good Luck to you in creating this wonderful memory.

Thanks for the response back. Look forward to seeing the finished product. You are a special person for doing this.

Julie

Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM

ginnie, you hadn't mentioned before my reply that your friend said she wants a quilt.

Now I say that making one of his clothing sounds soooo comforting and wonderful. About advice tips, the one thing I've heard is that lightweight tee-shirt material needs a backing but I don't know how or with what. Somebody here will, I'm sure. At his age, that was probably his primary wardrobe.

You are to be commended for your very compassionate undertaking.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 PM

So sad...so tragic... and a really thoughtful gesture of you, to make a quilt.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM

So sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and his family.

What a wonderful idea that is to make a memory quilt out of his clothing.

Pam
Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 PM

I too made quilts from my FIL's shirts when he passed. I made one for his wife, my husband and my SIL. They were all very pleased with them. I used his shirts, and purchased a coordinating fabric to go with them and just made a 3 part rail fence block. Some of his shirts had his name on the pockets, I made sure to have one in each lap sized quilt. I then made a label that said in Memory of...... Keep it a simple design and it will come out nice and be very much appreciated. Be sure to fuse the back of the t-shirts and work them in too.
Good luck, and you and she are in my prayers.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 AM

What a great idea! My daughter's ex-boyfriend, they remained friends. Was killed in a motorcycle accident fourth of July weekend, he was 31. I have lost loved ones before, but for some reason I'm having a really much harder time dealing with this one! I can't imagine how his mom is handling this loss. He was a wonderful person!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 AM

So very, very sorry for your loss. If it were me, and someone thought to do something that special, it would be a most treasured quilt. One never stops thinking about the lost ones in our lives, it seems. A lap blanket would be a time for comfort and good memories. Any pattern is the perfect pattern.