Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • tonight is a three dog night >
  • tonight is a three dog night

• tonight is a three dog night

Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 PM

it is darn cold and I am sitting here shivering my timbers
    Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Good thing you have those beautiful pups!
    Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 PM

snicker, three dogs will keep you warm? that's cute. I've got one that will perch right up on top of your rump and snore! I fret so much that I get warm.....hahahaha, sorry, snuggle up to something warm, like rice bags that have been in microwave. :)

Blessings,
    Ruth
    Old 01-15-2011, 08:48 PM
    Cyn

I openned my electric bill today and almost croaked! It doubled from last month's. We keep the house a chilly 65- 67 degrees but turn on a gas fireplace to warm up one room and 2 small electric heaters in sewing room and hubby's office. It's only the 2 of us and some pets. I guess the cold weather just bumped the bill up. Man, I'm ready for warmer weather but I don't see it in the near future. One can only put on some many socks and sweaters :)
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 PM
    Cyn

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    Originally Posted by Cyn
    I openned my electric bill today and almost croaked! It doubled from last month's. We keep the house a chilly 65- 67 degrees but turn on a gas fireplace to warm up one room and 2 small electric heaters in sewing room and hubby's office. It's only the 2 of us and some pets. I guess the cold weather just bumped the bill up. Man, I'm ready for warmer weather but I don't see it in the near future. One can only put on some many socks and sweaters :)
    I am with you on the doubled part I dont know what I am going to do. I have nothing plugged in cept for the hot water heater and my longarm. I even unplugged the alarm clock for th phantom leaching. Hmm mabye if I turn off the breaker to the hot water heater if that wont help out some.
    I unplugged the tvs, clocks and stuff that we don't need and turned down the water heater but still ....
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 PM
    JJs
    Banned

thank heavens for lp central heat.... we filled the tank last month, and then got another 50 gallons this month - and we are in SOUTH Alabama!!! This has been like a record breaking cold winter so far....
    Beats the $300+ MONTHLY natural gas bill in NE Indiana by a long shot tho... (and that was 8 years ago - hate to think what it would be now)
    (we, hopefully, won't have to get any more gas this winter...)
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 PM

lol, is that where that phrase comes from?
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

To conserve I unplug all LEDs (the DirecTV box, the strip for the computer, iron and sewing machine) each night, use a battery-powered clock, and have one tiny night light. I use the twisty light bulbs everywhere. The hot water heater is set on 'barely safe' (warmest warm), the thermostat is on 67, it stays 60 in my bedroom, and I run the dishwasher only about every 5 days.

Reckon I could live with just a wood-burning fireplace, candlelight, and tons of heavy old quilts like they did when this old cottage was built..... :?

Jan in VA, zapped with 2.5x increase in electric bill for Dec.
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:58 PM
    Cyn

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    To conserve I unplug all LEDs (the DirecTV box, the strip for the computer, iron and sewing machine) each night, use a battery-powered clock, and have one tiny night light. I use the twisty light bulbs everywhere. The hot water heater is set on 'barely safe' (warmest warm), the thermostat is on 67, it stays 60 in my bedroom, and I run the dishwasher only about every 5 days.

Reckon I could live with just a wood-burning fireplace, candlelight, and tons of heavy old quilts like they did when this old cottage was built..... :?

Jan in VA, zapped with 2.5x increase in electric bill for Dec.
    I use to love sleeping under all those quilts my grandmother use to pile on me! Great memories and great night's sleep :)
    Old 01-15-2011, 11:59 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

We are also very careful of power usage and always have been, since we are off the grid. Everything is on power strips that go off when we are not using stuff that leaches power. We also have the new LED spotlights all over the house. A 3 watt spot that give 150 watts of light is a great invention.