Old 12-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Sandygirl

To his defense, until someone is involved in quilting/sewing, know someone who is or if they have ever gone to a quilt show, people in general do not realize that sewing/quilting is alive and thriving. 7 years ago I was "that person". I had not sewn for years because I no longer enjoyed garment sewing and honestly, I did not know that quilting was going strong. I honestly did not know anything about it. It took a move to a rural area (from a metro area) and I decided to make some curtains for a museum that I go the "bug" to sew. I knew that my town had a quilt shop so I got curious and walked into the door.

Quilting opened up a whole new world for me. I get that rush just "sewing" and piecing quilt tops and making bags, totes and small projects feeds that rush. I took a couple of lessons from this shop and it was enough for me to take the ball and go! I already knew how to sew garments but did not know what tools were needed to piece quilt tops. The store owner and I have been friends ever since and she introduced me to 3 quilt guilds and thus many new friends to connect with.

I am amazed at the creativity and talent in the world of sewing and quilting.

So, when people make innocent comments about sewing/quilting or any other hobby they are not familiar with, it is a learning opp to teach them. Heck, I never knew people actually hunted morels until I saw it on TV!

Give the guy a break. I have to give a lot of ladies like me a break when they don't realize how strong the quilting world really is. If you are not involved, how would you know?

The regret for me is that I did not discover it sooner! (I did not know about rotary cutters! LOL!!)

Sandy