Old 12-28-2011, 05:57 AM
AshleyR

I know this sounds weird, but I had the opposite reaction.
My dad has had more to do with my "quiltin' career" than anyone, except my husband. My dad still has the first thing (pillow) I quilted so many years ago. Anyway, I made the same kind of wallhanging for my dad, my mom, my inlaws and my boss. My boss and my dad just went nuts over them!! To be fair, my MIL thought I'd bought it and was kind about it, but then my hubby mentioned that I made it and he said she liked it a lot more LOL.
But I threw together a quilt in a week for my dad. I could see all the mistakes in it and I was really nervous about giving it because I was afraid it would look "cheap" to give homemade gifts. I thought he'd like the colors, but I think there is something about picking out your own colors for a quilt... Anyway, he loves the quilt. It's not fancy and the quilting lines aren't straight. I told him (and I mean it) that it's not an heirloom quilt, it's one for the bed. I honestly don't care if he uses it with a bedspread or as the bedspread. I made it to keep him warm. But he's in love with it. I don't know if he'll put it on his bed, or a guest bed. I promised him I'd make him another one and thinking "I'll make you a better one".
It's kind of weird and embarrassing.