Old 12-29-2011, 05:55 AM
LKopinski

Originally Posted by cinnya View Post
I totally agree with you.!!!!!!!
I only make throws for my friends,use the colors of their decor, and so far everybody has been happy.
I don't even have a full size quilt on my beds. I make oversized throws and just put them on the foot of the bed.
Quilts are too warm in the summer here and not warm enough in the winter, at least for me.
Everybody has their own personal style, and I would never presume that people have to love it, just because I spend my money and my time making it.When I choose to make a quilt for somebody I will give them MY gift and than it is Theirs, to do with as they please.
I guess it kind of sounds cold hearted, but this is the only way for me to keep from getting my feelings hurt
I also think that you should have input from the recipient for an item that needs to reflect someone's personal taste and will be part of their daily life.

My MIL was an avid quilter and decided that she wanted to surprise everyone and make quilts for her three children/spouses and five grandsons one year for Christmas. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time and energy that she spent getting the quilts done. I think she was around 80 when she decided to take on this major project.

Our beautiful Christmas gift quilt is safely tucked away in the basement storage cabinet. The quilt is green and white which are not colors we would have picked out for our bedroom nor is the pattern anything that we would have chosen. She did show me the fabric when they were visiting from out of state and we were in a shop in the Amish area near our home. Her question was vague when she showed me a group of green fabric bolts ... "do you think these look nice together?" My honest response was that I didn't think I was very good at mixing patterns. I didn't comment on my dislike of green since I knew that she had quite a bit of green in her home and didn't think my personal opinion on the color was appropriate.

My MIL passed away five years ago. We displayed all of the Christmas gift quilts along with the grandsons' t-shirt quilts at the funeral home during visitation. It was quite a sight and allowed her extended family and friends to see her talents.

I would love to have a quilt that she made that would be along the lines of my husband and my taste. I know that it would have been made with an abundance of love.