Thread: Pots and Pans
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
Cast iron is GREAT - once you get it seasoned, and you can wash it as much as you want - just don't let it soak. Be sure to season it right, I tried to shortcut once by putting a lot of oil on at once - not good.

Just add a thin layer of oil and bake it in the oven until it is baked on. Then use oil or fat each time you cook and it will build up. I have one pan at home that is as smooth as non-stick, it has such a good seasoning on it.
I couldn't agree more!! With the exception of two stainless steel pots, ALL of my cookware, is cast iron, most of it between 60 to 100 years old, some over 100 years old. Lodge is the ONLY cast iron company left in the US now, and even their enamelware is coated in China.
Seasoning is super easy. I heat the pan in a 250 degree oven, spray it with Pam, wipe it until it looks like there's no Pam left, and put it back in the oven at 350 for an hour. Then I do it again, just to make sure I didn't miss anything. The first few times I cook in it I use it to fry either bacon or potatoes, and after that it's usually pretty well seasoned.

You don't want to let it soak very long, nor do you want to let high acid foods like spaghetti sauce sit in it very long, but other than that, the seasoning is durable. I do NOT use soap on my cast iron, I wash it in just super hot water and then pop it on the stovetop to dry. If I really need to scrub it, I use a choregirl...you know the stainless steel scrubbers? Yep. Try that on teflon!

The OLD cast iron made by companies like Griswold, Wagner, Favorite, Chicago, is actually thin and fairly lightweight. The newer stuff made in the 50's and 60's tends to be a bit clunky and heavy.