Thread: Pots and Pans
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Lisanne

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
Look at the gauge of the stainless steel and at what the bottom is made out of. Is there some sort of core sandwiched between the steel? Better heat conduction and thicker metal makes for better pans.
Stainless steel has different gauges????? Oh no, something else I'll need to learn about, though I appreciate knowing, because that will help.

To the cast iron fans, no, I cook too many acidic dishes, and I tend to keep the flame high, meaning soaks and scrubbing. I'd need an in-house tutor to stay with me for months on end to show me how to work with iron. Won't happen.

I've seen Cuisinart cookware, but those handles are downright uncomfortable to hold.

I was going to call about the Revereware and forgot. I guess it'll be a New Year's resolution. But I'd really like a complete set. What I actually have is a mishmash, because Revereware (the copper bottom line) didn't have a small skillet, and I never liked their stockpots, so I have others (made from I don't know what, but they work).

I love the suggestion to check out restaurant cookware. There's an area in Old City Philly (or there was, a couple decades ago) where they wholesale restaurant equipment. So maybe I'll go wander around there soon. At the very least, they can explain stainless steel gauge to me and answer other questions.