Old 12-31-2011, 09:47 AM
kellen46

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
I just got this link from Bellaonline for quilting, and it sounds interesting. Has anyone done it yet? I want to try it but don't want to make one and then have it turn out horrible and waste fabric. The link is:

http://www.crafttestdummies.com/craf...recycle-craft/
This is a tried and true technique. I made several of these when I first started quilting and money was tight. The newspaper mostly just dissolves away. If the paper is two weeks old the ink will not run. It smears because it is not dry yet when new. If you are concerned run a hot iron over the paper and it is set. My DMIL said the paper added extra warmth, tongue in cheek wisdom from a wise lady. You can tie or machine quilt the top with no worries. Are we so dainty now we can't even use newspaper with out turning up our noses. Newspaper is mostly wood fiber and comes from trees...what animal does polyester come from? The ink is mostly from vegetable products. If you really need blank paper you can by partial rolls of newsprint from the local newspaper available for one or two dollars. You will get many yards of blank newsprint. If you don't believe me that the newsprint disappears then take a piece of newspaper and sit it in the sun for a bit....it just degrades right away to fragile and brittle.