Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has anyone tried using newspaper as batting? >

has anyone tried using newspaper as batting?

has anyone tried using newspaper as batting?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM

can you try this and report back on this thread and let us know the results? im so curious to know how the quilt fares.

Originally Posted by nycbgirl View Post
I might try this on a very small doll quilt just to test it....but I just cannot see using newspaper or any kind of paper and washing it...
Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 AM

They used to use newspaper as the 'foundation' for string quilts and like the one she is demonstrating. Sometimes the tops would be left witht he paper still attatched, not yet quilted. The point is that she saved the fabric for the foundation. They would have pulled the newspaper off before quilting.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:11 AM

I've had more than one vintage quilt that used newspaper as a foundation. So naturally I tried it, removing the paper after the string quilt was pieced. Those little bits of newsprint kept turning up everywhere, even in my clothes. After that I use cheap muslin or even poly fabric for the foundation.

And I just have to say it. The antique quilts we find were stored and never washed and used rarely. Jane Stickley's quilt would have disintegrated if she had used it.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Hi! I'm the person who wrote that post about he Chronicle quilts. In this technique you are really just using the newspaper as a piecing foundation because newsprint ink DOES dissolve in water (it's soy based) and the paper disintegrates. For these, I then use fleece or flannel for the back and add no extra batting. It's a great technique to use up scraps. I hope this answers your question. If you need any specific advice, let me know! -Jenny of CraftTestDummies.com