Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has anyone tried using newspaper as batting? >

has anyone tried using newspaper as batting?

has anyone tried using newspaper as batting?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
i'm curious since you have used this method, once the paper batting is washed it dissolves how do these quilts hold up over time? i have washed my jeans with paper left in the pockets and it either wads up in a hard pieces and disintegrates. i cannot imagine that this can be any sort of lasting batting and the quilt ends up being just two pieces of fabric with paper fragments or mush inside. how does this work?
I'd guess by the quilting! The paper in your pockets is not secured into a shape in any way and can fly about at will. Paper inside a top, a bottom and enclosed by quilting on all sides, can "melt" into any state it wants, and when it dries it will be back to its original location, shape and state.

Again, that's pretty much how paper making works so I'm guessing it would have to be the same.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Caryn View Post
i have always been fascinated with this topic...years ago during ww1 and ww2 this type of quilting was in fact done due to the scarcity of cotton. the newspapers of today are pretty much the same as those of that time. what you want to do is wet the papers to remove some of the excess ink and then dry and press the paper.. the paper was used in place of batting and in fact is just as warm as batting. it will soften as the quilt ages and is washed...of course back in the day even a modern washing machine of the time was far less powerful than what we have today. during the days of old and up to depression era, it was not uncommon to layer newspapers on the walls of homes, and between sheets and blankets to cut drafts and help keep the home and body warm. check out some of the homeless people at night and you will find that they (yes, even today) collect newspapers and use them for more than reading.
We've owned two very old houses and have found newspaper in the walls of both of them. It's pretty neat, actually, because you can date the wall by the newspapers in it.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:44 AM

I'm with you guys on this, why? Even if I'm making a quilt to be donated, I take the same amount of time and effort and supplies as if I was making it for myself or a gift.

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
hmmmm. that technique is interesting. i'm with you on this.... why???? the woman in the link said that she was making these as donation quilts, children's quilts on top of that. this makes me wonder what's sandwiched between donation quilts now. you just never know.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by lovequilter View Post
Today's ink has a lot of acid in it and it may damage your fabric. I would test it first.
Good thought!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
Very old quilts used newspaper for batting, BUT think about this, newsprint is acid based paper and it will eventually cause the fabric to deteriorate. For the same reason, that is why all matting paper used for framing prints is now acid free.
The Newspaper is for a paper piecing foundation and usually melts away with the first wash. A regular batting is used in the quilt. The acid is then gone and not a problem. Back then when I first did this technique cotton batting was not available, Polyester was expensive, I used old blankets as batting or what ever I could find that would work. The quilts did not rot, but rather were used up over the years...some worn out quilts received new tops and backs and were used up yet again. The wringer washer did more harm than the newspaper....
Old 01-01-2012, 12:09 PM

I saw a program a few years ago,(might have been w/Alex Anderson, but don't quote me on that!) that discussed some historic quilts that were found in Montana, perhaps in Helena. They were made way before the depression era, using homespun wool, I believe. Don't remember much, but realized that the wool was the warmth, not the paper batting, and was never washed or dried in a machine, so the paper survived. If I remember correctly, they were called paper quilts.

My grandparents all homesteaded in Montana, so the program caught my eye and reminded me how the old wool quilts were apt to become batting when they were worn out. Again, they were not washed by machine and were hung on the line to dry. Usually the outside was made of flour sacks. My grandmother also told me that quilts and blankets were rarely washed. They were hung out to "air". The tops were carefully covered when you folded the top sheet over them to keep them clean as well. I have a piece of crazy quilt she had made in the 1890's. A loose muslin was used as the base of it. Not sure what the quilt backing was -- only a small piece of cotton was left on the outside seam.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 PM
mel

I don't think she is using it as batting.....I think it is used as stabilizer.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mel View Post
I don't think she is using it as batting.....I think it is used as stabilizer.
If you checked the link in the first post, it clearly shows that the newspaper is not just as a stabilizer and was being left in as batting
Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 AM

I have several med sized blocks dated in Dec of 1936. The reason I know the date is bc they were back with newspaper. I would not use newspaper for batting, how would you wash the quilt? Many, many years ago the quilts were not washed just aired.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl View Post
I might try this on a very small doll quilt just to test it....but I just cannot see using newspaper or any kind of paper and washing it...
I don't know that the intentions of the pioneer quilters were to wash those quilts. They were made for insulation (especially for the soldiers).The quilts were probably given a good shaking and perhaps hung in the sun and wind to air out. Times have changed. We are a generation obscessed with cleanliness. In those days, priorities were different.

Re: a previous post in this thread,
I remember something from Alex Anderson's show where they showed how the quilters used a whole sheet of newsspaper, started in the middle, and crazy patched it until the whole sheet was covered.

Last edited by GailG; 01-03-2012 at 02:25 PM.