Old 12-31-2011, 10:58 PM
earthwalker
Power Poster

Default Pre-Christmas Op Shop Find....Happy but a little sad too

Just before Christmas, my mother and I were Op-Shopping (Thrift Store Shopping) at a huge store near my mother's home. I discovered a battered basket at the back of a shelf near all the craft bits and pieces. I couldn't resist unpacking the whole shelf and getting the basket down to see what was inside. I had a quick look and paid the grand sum of $5. Couldn't wait to get home and rummage in earnest! Well, a quilter's dream come true.....a biscuit tin with notions and thread and a file of applique patterns, two quilting books and the start of about 8 potential baby quilts. They are all done in the English Paper Piecing method, beautifully stitched and interestingly all have 1/2 inch seam allowances. From the paperwork used to piece the blocks, and the handwritten notes and neat envelopes of patterns, I surmise this belonged to an elderly lady, a member of a guild, and a traditionalist (I also know her name)....I also guess this quilter is now deceased as her address changed from residential, to a nursing home. I plan on following her patterns and finishing the quilts, which is what I would like if someone were to stumble upon my UFO's. I felt a little sad that her work ended up in a thrift store, but the money goes to a great cause (the Drug Arm charity) and a quilter did find it.....so thought I'd share with my quilting friends. Happy New Year to all....and may this year bring you health, prosperity and happiness.
Attached Thumbnails opshop-find.jpg