View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 AM
QM
Power Poster

I am certain the idea was not original with me. I live in a very small town where many people are involved with the senior center and the development of senior housing.

BTW, both my older sister and brother were hospitalized at the end of their lives. My sister complained of ill treatment, 400 miles from ther daughters and almost 3000 from me. I could not go see her or move her, so I sent her quilts. One was stolen. When her daughters were able to move her to a better facility, one of the first things the social worker did was set up a mini quilt show in her room, since it was mid-summer and she did not want the quilts on her bed. Staff, patients and visitors all came to admire her display, giving her a great deal of contact and pleasure. When my brother was suddenly diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and days to live, I asked what he needed. He asked for socks, because he was constantly cold. DH and I brought socks and a quilt. Then a second quilt because the first needed washing. There was nothing special about those quilts, but they were special to him. He said the same thing, that staff came in just to admire his quilt (Billie Lauder's There's a Dog on my Quilt) and it helped to take his mind off his illness. My SiL said that she wrapped herself in the bigger quilt and cried when he was gone.

I guess I am saying that I don't have to be hit with a hammer to recognise the need in front of me. One thing about a small town is that everything and everyone is in front of your nose. I go to the post office and someone whose name I never knew says how wonderful the baby quilt her cousin got from me was. I made a quilt to help with a school fund raiser for a seriously injured boy with no insurance. When I reached the school to drop off the quilt, a child came out from the restroom, and rushed to help with my wheelchair and to show me the way. I get a great deal back from my giving, but more importantly, I am certain that what I am doing matters, which is a gift to me.