Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seniors without kin

QM

Seniors without kin

Yestereday, having completed and delivered my charity quilts to meet the needs of children in out of home placement, and not wanting to tackle my main tricky UFO, I looked in a couple of fabric drawers and remembered that I had planned to do a couple of vet quilts. I called the local office for low income seniors to ask if they had vets and others needing lap quilts. When they got back to me, the response was strong and enthusiastic.

In our small community, it is fairly clear where the needs are. I urge those of you looking for a project to consider lap quilts for the kinless.

A couple of years ago I went in to deliver a quilt with the Statue of Liberty and flags. The person in charge of the office at the foundation-run low cost senior housing insisted on taking me to a WW II vet living in one of their apts. We had a good chat. He was thrilled with the gift and I was very pleased to see his smiles.

About 5 years ago DH and I decided we wanted to donate quilts for those in our community, which is generally underserved. We went to the soup kitchen an hour before they opened. DH explained that we had quilts to give but didn't want them to go where they would be trashed or sold for drugs. The lady in charge said she knew just who they should go to, and put them up on the wall. She later told me about one of them. A Nam vet wheeled himself in. He saw a horse's head medallion quilt and asked if that were spoken for. It reminded him of the great pleasure he had gotten as a rider. She told him the quilt was spoken for, it was his. He was grateful and also said it was the perfect size to keep his stumps warms.

I know quilters are generally very generous. I ask you to consider those in your own communities who need to be remembered and kept warm.

Blog Entries
    Great information. Thanks!
    Bernie

WOW...that is the TRUE meaning and spirit of Christmas. Bless you for all that you do...and have done.

Blog Entries
    Lovely idea! Thanks for sharing.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    Thanks. That is a great idea!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reminder. Most places around here seem to be fairly well supplied but it is worth looking in to.
    Cherylsea

I donate quilts to the VA home near us. I also donate to a childrens facility. They make backpacks with a quilt for them when they go to foster homes.

I think that's an absolutely awesome idea!!! Our Walmarts had a Christmas Tree for Seniors with Paper ornaments on it with the person's first name, male or female and an item they would like to have. This is my second year for picking ornaments off that tree and I loved it so much. Everywhere I go, they're doing something or collecting for the children and while I think that's wonderful, I loved that someone was finally doing something for the seniors. I would love to jump on board to a Seniors without Kin project. Maybe I need a little brain storming here so I'm thinking the best way to go about this would be to pick a seniors home and go have a talk to the Manager and find out who is in there without kin. I lost my mother last February and would love to do something like this. This summer my project was a foster family with 5 children, so I made 5 quilts, which left me no time to look into this Senior idea. I guess my question to all you guys is, am I going about this the right way? Would you start with going to a Seniors home like I suggested? Please feel free to help me with ideas for this. I will plan to start right away in January. Thanks, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to EVERYBODY!!! Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tails View Post
    I think that's an absolutely awesome idea!!! Our Walmarts had a Christmas Tree for Seniors with Paper ornaments on it with the person's first name, male or female and an item they would like to have. This is my second year for picking ornaments off that tree and I loved it so much. Everywhere I go, they're doing something or collecting for the children and while I think that's wonderful, I loved that someone was finally doing something for the seniors. I would love to jump on board to a Seniors without Kin project. Maybe I need a little brain storming here so I'm thinking the best way to go about this would be to pick a seniors home and go have a talk to the Manager and find out who is in there without kin. I lost my mother last February and would love to do something like this. This summer my project was a foster family with 5 children, so I made 5 quilts, which left me no time to look into this Senior idea. I guess my question to all you guys is, am I going about this the right way? Would you start with going to a Seniors home like I suggested? Please feel free to help me with ideas for this. I will plan to start right away in January. Thanks, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to EVERYBODY!!! Wendy
    THank you...
    we as a family have picked one nursing home every year. We wait till the last few days and than go and get all the names that are left on their angel tree. those are the ones who have no family at all.
    Those are our "grandmas and grandpas" and you cannot believe how grateful they are for just the smallest items.
    So please , next year consider checking out the angeltrees in nursing homes.
    Christina

Blog Entries
    Cudos to all of you with such wonderful hearts... this idea will be on my list once I retire... between work and travel time I am gone about 12hrs a day... but I will have to look into doing something for the seniors without kin here.. there is a fairly new assisted living home here in town that I could look into... so thank you ...

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your post. Due to health problems (my mothers), I am her care giver and have been tied up with her. I work from home as well, but I still have time to quilt. In the past I have quilted for kids, but didn't think about kin-less adults (I'm sure we have a number in our town - so this has been my bad). Thank you again for making me look past the end of my nose.
    Snooks

What a wonderful idea. I used to send quite a few quilts to Quiltsforkids and some others, but the postage is getting out of hand on that venture. I think I'll check with some of the local places and see what I can do. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    A sister church in our town is starting a quilting bee to make quilts for an orphanage. We have a new nursing home in our community and this would be a good place to start after quilting for the kids.
    TwandasMom

You and your family will be blessed for your kindness. We have a VA hospital in a town about 20 minutes away. You gave me a wonderful idea.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

You did a very generous thing.......and something that can inspire us to do wonderful, thoughtful things for those not as fortunate. Thanks for your kindness, you make the world a better place!

Blog Entries
    This is one of my plans for the future after each of my family members get a quilt from me... it is such a thoughtful way to remember those most deserving of such a gift...
    JO

I've started going local for my charities. The area I live in is full of small towns and alot of people are low income. I used to do quilts for kids, but I figured, why not help the ones that live near me.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    thank you for your kindness and generosity. I have been toying with this idea for awhile myself. I want to target Hospice patients. They need a little kindness shone in the time they have left. since I do hand work, it takes me longer to do things. But, when I get my longarm, this will be one of my top priorities!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

We have a nursing home in the small town where I live, and I had wanted to make some lap quilts for the people in it, but after talking to the person in charge, I decided NOT to. The reason: if the person dies and the members of the family don't want the quilt, the home tosses them in the TRASH. I asked, why didn't they just give them to someone else, it's not like they were personalized, but they said, NO, in the trash they go, so they get no quilts from me. They did ask for scarves and gloves though this year, so I donated 18 scarves.

Blog Entries
    Yesterday I was visiting at a Senior Citizen high rise in midtown Atlanta. Resident of the apt had gone out to walk his dog and my daughter and I heard "tapping" in the hallway....I thought it was someone at our door......we finally got up and opened the door and it was a man and woman tapping on the door across the hall....we apologized and told them that we thought they were at our door. They kept tapping and tapping.......we finally hear the man say, "Mom, this is Tommy, I'm your son and this is my wife"......he also said we've got you "tv" dinners and Christmas coffee.....the older woman finally opened the door and we could hear her say "I didn't know who you are....and how did you know I like coffee".....Isn't that sad !

The resident that we were visiting said that the woman seldom leaves her apt but they have folks that check on people like that more than once a day to make sure they've eaten, bathed, etc. He said that most likely that woman will be moved to a "real" assisted living center rather than a retiree's high rise.

My heart aches not only for that woman but her family as well. My step mother (83) was just recently diagnosed with early stages of Alzhemiers (sp?) and her daughters are facing moving her out of her little apt and into the home of one of them, PLUS taking away her car, which I think ought to be first priority ! Sweet little woman could get out in that car and not get back. She asked one of her daughters the other day "who was that man" and her daughter reminded her it was her husband of 30+ years.........

Blog Entries
    THANK YOU from me for being soooooo considerate of others (especially out Vets). J J

QM
    Thank you for your responses.

I would love to do this also. I'm going to check into it.Thanks for the idea.I'm retired and some times get bored doing the same thing all the time.I really like to quilt and there just so many you can give your family.I know what i will be doing now.
    Again thanks for the idea .

Thanks to you, I will remember our seniors and veterans without families, when I next find new homes for my unsold quilts.
    With quilters for friends, I will always be warm.

Being a retiree myself I have often thought about the seniors whose families cannot visit them on the holidays and how lonely it must be for them too. I also know that many people in the nursing homes do not have people who visit them and they are alone too. BUT I never thought about making quilts for them. What a wondeful idea. I love quilting and have just stated getting back into this after several years. My daughters could care less about my making them a quilt but my son and grandson are all for having one. Go figure. So I figure that I will be making many over the next years that God is granting me to have and so having ideas of someone that they can go to is a great idea. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast