Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seniors without kin >

Seniors without kin

Seniors without kin

Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 AM

What a treasure you and your DH are. Thanks for sharing... Last year my DM had an odd twist on a similar story. My father had passed away 2 yrs prior. She had finally gotten herself to the point where she had decided to resume quilting again "to use up her stash..hehehe" Her aunt had made a large batch of 9 patches so she decided to sash them out and make lap robes for the vets. We have a local veteran's rest home. She made 6 or 8 and then called to set an appt to bring them to the vets. THEY WOULD NOT TAKE THEM! She was devastated. I could not believe it. She has given them away, but is kinda put out with the rest home... The good news is the project inspired her to make quilts for the family and we are all thrilled about that! Plus she is busy again. She is only 83 but has a lot of arthritis so her quilting really has given her something to focus on besides her health.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DMotyl View Post
What a treasure you and your DH are. Thanks for sharing... Last year my DM had an odd twist on a similar story. My father had passed away 2 yrs prior. She had finally gotten herself to the point where she had decided to resume quilting again "to use up her stash..hehehe" Her aunt had made a large batch of 9 patches so she decided to sash them out and make lap robes for the vets. We have a local veteran's rest home. She made 6 or 8 and then called to set an appt to bring them to the vets. THEY WOULD NOT TAKE THEM! She was devastated. I could not believe it. She has given them away, but is kinda put out with the rest home... The good news is the project inspired her to make quilts for the family and we are all thrilled about that! Plus she is busy again. She is only 83 but has a lot of arthritis so her quilting really has given her something to focus on besides her health.
How sweet of your Mother. And, thank you for sharing.

I have a friend who makes baby quilts to donate to the birthing wing in a local hospital. I know people who make quilts for Crisis Pregnancy in our area also. All of the recipients are thankful to receive them.

I helped some ladies at our church put together quilts (nothing fancy but very nice) for a family and a young man who were going on their 3rd 2 week mission trip to a village in Uganda in December. I think all together they were able to take 83 quilts. I am ready to start making simple quilts for their next trip in June. Blessings!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM
QM
Power Poster

Quilts in the Trash!!!!! ugh! One wonders if they actually went to the employees.

DH and I have also decided that our charity, as well as our minimal purchasing power, needs to have a local emphasis. There are probaby hundreds of thousands of legitimate charities, so we have chozen Doctors without Borders, our own county's children in out-of-home placement and, recently, low income seniors without kin to see to their needs.