Old 01-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Mad Mimm

I am on a pretty tight budget so anything I spend on quilting is carefully planned. If possible, I borrow tools that I don't already have and need for a specific project, and rent books from the library instead of buying them. I recently splurged on fabric but that was a birthday gift and the amount I spent was carefully calculated and stuck to like glue!

In the past, when I worked full time, I spent money without really accounting too much. I would keep receipts only as references for where I purchased a certain fabric line, etc., but not to add up and see how much I spent. Now, I only spend what I can afford and plan carefully. Of course, I am not a fabric hoarder. I buy fabric for specific projects and rarely, when I see something I love, I will buy it and stash it for later use.

For what it is worth, if you think the dollar amount of your receipts is going to inhibit your enjoyment of quilting, then I say toss them in the fire and burn them. If you are on a budget like me and want to make sure you are not over-spending, that is a different story. Just don't let the money involved make you feel guilty about doing what you love. Remember, all those quilts you have gifted were GIFTS so you would have spent that money anyway and in the case of quilting, you get to enjoy your hobby and give a gift with the same dollars.

Last edited by Mad Mimm; 01-04-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: dreadful grammar